Lost Documents

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Juli29
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Juli29 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:00 pm

I've been working in some music these days. I had saved the two documents I was working on several times and I left both opened while the computer was in hibernation mode. After that (and having done the same thing a couple of times before), I couldn't save or recover the documents and there is no place in my PC where I can find them. Any clue?

J.
(Finale 2014)

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Use Windows Explorer to look around for X.asvx and X.bakx, where X is the name of your .musx file. .asvx is preferable, as it's more likely to have your latest changes.

Juli29
Finale Version: 2014

Post by Juli29 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 pm

I tried that and didn't work :(

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 pm

If the lost documents are very important then do not save any new files on the system. Get a data recovery app and burn it onto a CD disk, on another computer. If you only have one computer, ask a friend for help in creating the CD, so you can run recovery without writing to your HDD. There are a number of freeware and open source programs available that work fairly well (search at the SourceForge site). Stellar Phoenix is affordable and recovers even long lost files very well, providing you saved the file at least once or had Finale Autosave enabled. The "Restore" feature in Windows does not includes personal files. Did you use your file manager to look for your lost files in the following location?

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale2012\Music Files

Should you find a lost file with an .asv or .bak extension and it fails to open, right-click on it and rename the extension to .mus.

Good luck!