Catalina 26.2 MIDI Note Entry

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

peerlessnerd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by peerlessnerd » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 am

Catalina has broken my ability for Simple and Speedy MIDI piano keyboard entry with Finale 26.2.0.456. I assume this is a 32-bit issue, which is no longer supported by Apple. It may be a driver issue with my Roland UM-ONE MIDI interface. I also have an original Midiman Midisport 2X2, which hasn't had a working driver since Mountain Lion or maybe Mavericks.

I'm guessing it will be quite some time, if ever, there are new drivers for my MIDI interfaces.

I'm told I no longer need a MIDI interface, just a cable from MIDI to USB on my MacPro desktop. Does anybody have a suggestion for a cable to get my MIDI input to Finale working again in Catalina? These cables seem to ship with a driver, but will it be Catalina capable? Very little out there seems to work under Catalina thus far.

Does anybody have MIDI note entry of any kind working under Catalina?
User since Finale 1.0
Finale 26.2.0.456
Mac Pro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Catalina 10.15.4

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:45 am

peerlessnerd wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 am
I'm told I no longer need a MIDI interface, just a cable from MIDI to USB on my MacPro desktop.
Interface, cable, adaptor, tomato. :D If your MIDI keyboard has a USB port, then you may be able to connect it directly to your computer without drivers. If it just has old MIDI "DIN" (circles with 5 pins) ports, then you do need some device that connects from the MIDI to USB. Some of these devices may work without drivers.

Your Roland interface is what I would call a cable. Have you tried using it without the drivers?

I would ask Roland Support: Will it work without drivers? If not, when do they anticipate releasing drivers for Catalina? If not, can they recommend a similar product that will work on Catalina or without drivers?

You should be able to find a similar product that doesn't need drivers quite cheaply (though avoid the bargain stuff, as this can work poorly.)

peerlessnerd

Post by peerlessnerd » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:20 am

Appreciate the response!

My Kurzweil K1000 dates to 1988, but was still working perfectly for note entry, which is all I use it for these days. That is, until Catalina "broke" it.

It does have the classic 5-pin MIDI DIN cables and no USB. I guess I can try uninstalling the Roland driver and see if that works.

But if I'm understanding you correctly, because my ancient Kurzweil dates to well before USB, it requires a driver to work again with Finale?
User since Finale 1.0
Finale 26.2.0.456
Catalina 10.15.4

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:09 am

There are two problems.

The first is the physical issue of your Mac having USB ports but no MIDI ports, and your Kurzweil having MIDI ports but no USB ports. As a result, you need some hardware that connects your Mac to your keyboard.

The second problem is whether that hardware needs additional software to work. There is a 'standard' communication protocol for MIDI data travelling via USB: so if you buy a MIDI keyboard today, it will have a USB port, and you can connect it to a Mac or Windows PC, and you will not need any additional software for it to work. MacOs and Windows both contain the standard drivers for MIDI-over-USB.
Therefore, I would similarly expect a simple MIDI-to-USB interface to use the same standard protocol, and thus not need any additional software to work.

I recently bought a very cheap USB to MIDI cable from eBay for £5, so that my daughter could use my 1980s Yamaha PSR-410. It required no drivers whatsoever. Admittedly, it was a bit temperamental, but a slightly better quality one should work fine. As said, I used to have a big Roland 6-channel Audio and MIDI interface plugged into my Mac that also needed no additional drivers whatsoever.

Again, I would try the interface without drivers; then ask Roland when they will support it.

peerlessnerd

Post by peerlessnerd » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 am

Good news! It turns out Roland just released the Catalina driver that supports my particular MIDI interface. I am up and running again with MIDI piano note entry. My thanks to everyone who helped.
User since Finale 1.0
Finale 26.2.0.456
Catalina 10.15.4