File No Longer Opening

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gngianopoulos
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by gngianopoulos » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi All,

HELP!!! I am in the middle of a huge project for symphonic wind ensemble and for some reason my Finale file (2012) is no longer opening. Needless to say, this is devastating. I'm hoping someone might be able to help by trying to open the file or see if there is anything that can be done to recover the file. Does Finale have an auto-save function that generates backup files? Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thank you,

G. Nick Gianopoulos

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Finale Preferences > Folders > Backup Files should show you where you might look to find a backup for the last saved version.

For the future you may find software called ForeverSave 2 useful (it may be Mac only - if so there should be equivalents for other platforms). ForeverSave automatically saves at regular intervals (frequency set by by you) all files in each application you choose for it to affect. You have to save in the normal way to set it going for each individual file, then it will automatically save at your chosen frequency for that application and keep each version of the file until you delete it. I've just checked, and it is Mac only; but I'm sure there is some Windows equivalent.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6