Font issue when opening Finale files from my PC on Mac

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

htrc04116
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by htrc04116 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Hi there,

I'm a Windows user operating Finale 26; my colleague is Mac user, also operating Finale 26. Our font settings in Document Options are the same, but when I send him scores that I've created on my PC, the notation is wrong on his screen.

Everything becomes symbols for him: ampersands instead of treble clefs, question marks instead of bass clefs, noteheads become weird looking E's with a slash through them, lyric and chord fonts are wrong, etc.

What's happening here and how can I fix it? Thanks so much in advance.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 pm

My guess is that you can not fix it; your colleague must fix it on his Mac.

From your description it sounds like the Finale music fonts are not correctly installed.

Things to try:
Launch the Finale installer, and do a custom install of only the music fonts,
or
download the music font pack from MakeMusic’s web site, and install the fonts in that way.

By The Way:
You have posted in the forum for hardware issues, but this problem sounds like a software issue, not a hardware issue.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Pierre de la Machaut
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by Pierre de la Machaut » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm

I am having a similar issue. I created (edited) a font to create custom noteheads (for shape notes). I have saved the new font notation as a separate font and created a FAN file for the font. I use windows and all worked just fine. A colleague is to begin typesetting using this font for the noteheads, but is getting the numbers (4,5,6...) rather than the shaped noteheads. He uses mac. He has loaded the new font into the proper folder on his mac, and done the same for the FAN file. Another colleague of mine offered to troubleshoot the issue, so I sent the files to him and he was able to get the font and FAN to work easily on his PC, but the same problem came up when trying to use the mac. Does anybody know what might be going on?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:15 pm

Try the instructions here for a possible solution for the Mac user:

http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... ymbolFonts

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Pierre de la Machaut

Post by Pierre de la Machaut » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Many thanks Zuill. I will report back with findings.

Pierre de la Machaut

Post by Pierre de la Machaut » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm

Just to update; my mac-using colleague said he was unable to get the new font to work, even after following the instruction sheet. For our particular project, we will be using a somewhat tedious work around where he'll need to send the files back to me and I will make the font changes on my pc. Not sure what the issue is or why it is happening; but we can't be the only folks looking to work on projects that may involve a mac user and a pc user...

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:09 pm

Do you have any other colleagues to test this situation on a Mac? Maybe someone here who uses a Mac can test this for you. Is the font the first one you have created that doesn't work on a Mac? Possibly there is something special when creating a font for Mac that you need to include in your font.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."