Routing Finale to a specific interface

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bopeuph
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by bopeuph » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:47 pm

I started messing around with Rocksmith, and it's a really fun way to get some woodshedding in. Problem is, it will not work with my Focusrite interface at all. So I ran a speaker cable from my motherboard audio out to my studio monitors, and noticed that many programs will let me decide which sound card to work with. I set my primary driver to the motherboard, and my web browser, Rocksmith, and more "consumer" grade programs work fine through there. It works great since I can use my hardware volume knob for the professional programs, and the Windows volume control for the consumer programs.

Cakewalk, Acid, and Adobe products all seem to work fine with Focusrite set up in the audio preferences. Finale does, too, but it's still running through the motherboard sound.

Is there a way to force it through my Focusrite without having to change my primary driver? It would be nice to use Finale and dial in the sound of a Netflix movie at the same time.

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 am

MIDI/Audio - Device setup - Audio setup

You should be able to choose the Focusrite ASIO driver there.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:13 pm

I did, but it's still going through the motherboard audio, surprisingly enough.

My Windows volume control is controlling the motherboard audio, and I use the volume knob on the Focusrite to change the Focusrite audio. Finale is still being controlled with Windows volume control.

I did run a few cleaning scripts a day or two ago; maybe I'll try it again when everyone is awake.

rshwin
Finale Version: FinaleV26,PrintMusic

Post by rshwin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 am

One of the tech's informed me the other day that for some reason Finale has issues with Focusrite. I have win 10 and making the adjustments they suggested in a set of instructions that was passed along were nearly impossible to make being that Win10's Settings/devices/Audio set up is as it is. It would have been an easy thing to set up in Win 7, but any way I'll try to attach the directions for setting up Finale with Focusrite when working with VST's and the like. Funny thing is I did a rewire session with my Reaper DAW using Finale to play /use my 64bit VST, and when I was done it seemed that all the changes I tried to make manually and through device manager that went nowhere, were magically done as far as which audio drivers were set up to run which specific part of Finale's Midi/VST Audio setup. It was bizarre
Screenshot_2020-04-15 Focusrite Interfaces with Windows.png

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks! I followed your steps, and everything seemed to already be set there. Interestingly enough, everything worked fine. But I haven't tried it for a few days since I was doing a lot of those "quarantine collabs."

Everything's working fine; so I can now turn UP Finale audio (SoftSynths are very soft) and not have to blast Netflix on the other screen while working.