Problem switching from headphone jack to computer speaker

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Al Fine
Finale Version: Finale 25.2.0.79
Operating System: Mac

Post by Al Fine » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:43 pm

Hello all, I'm using Finale 25.5.0.259 on a Mac, using OS 12.3. The computer is brand new, and I did a clean install of Finale (as opposed to migrating). I'm finding that if I'm listening to playback with the Audio Setup on "External Headphones", with the headphone jack already inside the headphone port, then remove the jack, I get two pop-ups in a row. The first pop-up informs me that "Your active output has been disconnected! Finale has selected the next available device...". When I click OK, the second pop-up reads, "Audio Engine Error-Finale's audio engine failed to load. Please restart Finale. Error code:7". At that point, Finale is frozen, and I have to force it to quit.

So basically, with no headphone jack in the port (and I only have one headphone port), Finale will play via the computer speakers. And will continue to do so, even if the jack is inserted. If I try in the reverse order, I get what I described in my first paragraph.

I poking around online, I've seen some suggestions, but haven't found a way to fix this. Let me add that, I do not have this problem with other apps, Finale is allowed to access my microphone, and the ReWire option is grayed out.

Thanks in advance for any help!