M-Audio Driver Question

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by johnmouse » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:39 am

I have an M-Audio keyrig 49 which I have used for years to input notes in Finale. However, Finale 27 will not recognize the keyboard. M-Audio's website does not have a driver supported by Windows 11 (worked fine in Win 10). I did download the last driver software, but it seemed that it just wasn't installing. (Perhaps I'm not waiting long enough?)

Other than buying a new midi keyboard, has anyone gotten this model (it's a legacy model) to work in Windows 11, Finale 27?

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:45 pm

You may need to fully uninstall the current driver before attempting to install a different one. Software is never fully uninstalled: footprints are always left behind in Windows' registry (removing the driver in Device Manager will only end up with a report the the latest driver is already installed). To remove leftover keys, use a good registry manager, like the free but excellent "Registrar Registry Manager, Home Edition": it will find all the orphan keys and let you purge them with one click. The same procedure with Microsoft's "regedit.exe" will take a loooooong time. Of course, a backup of the registry is prudent. Once clean, opt to update the driver from your PC and not the Internet.