Question about Kontact, sample libraries

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:06 pm

I'm about ready to dive into DAWs, and I will at some point get a high-level sample library (or libraries), probably EastWest.....but I don't get the whole picture yet: One set of sounds I'd like to get says "Full version of Kontakt required, 5.3.1 or later." So is Kontakt a sample library like EastWest and many others, or is it "just a player" or something....used in conjunction with a library like EastWest? Thanks for educating me on this.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:23 pm

Many sample libraries use Kontakt as a player. Kontakt is more than a player, but for this purpose "player" is enough. There's also a "player only" version of Kontakt (which is free), used by some.

Other companies have created their own players. This would be EW, VSL,Orchestral Tools and Spitfire.

What sort of music do you compose?
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:39 pm

Hey Bill, these days mainly chamber music for small ensembles (woodwind quintet, flute choir, et al.) I found a great-sounding library from Nick Loretta (large, high-quality variety of extended woodwind techniques that requires the full version of Kontakt. Not sure it's worth it, unless I would be using Kontakt enough on other things as well. From what I've heard EastWest seems the best for me....subscription, etc, it was recommended highly to me, especially by my orchestration tutor/instructor (Hollywood film studios guy). But it's not a decision I need to make today...just educating myself so when I'm ready to purchase I'll make a good decision.

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:57 pm

Kontakt is on sale for half price right now, so if that's the direction you want to go it's a good time.

I don't know anything about Nick Loretta. XSample is something to consider for chamber work, especially if you veer towards 21st musical forms. It comes with Human Playback setting for Finale.

If there are so many if/then logical decisions to make in all this, it's difficult to even start giving advice! Do you plan to use these libraries in Finale or just in a DAW?
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:19 pm

Good question: My understanding was that it must be in a DAW; that I couldn't just select specific sounds I'd purchased; that it would be Garritan or NP3 and that's that. However I just did a Zoom session w/a keyboard /MD whiz and he showed how to easily use any sounds; he has EastWest (in fact, he did all the piano recordings for them, so he got the whole set anyway), he also has Kontakt, a whole bunch of different libraries, and he demonstrated how one pretty much use any purchased sample library within Finale. So I guess I could just do that: use the cool sounds along w/Finale.

However, I want to learn a DAW so that I can do all the DAW stuff: mix, adjust levels, etc, etc., which you can't do on Finale. And with the DAW I will want to get EastWest or similar. I'll check out the sounds you suggested, though the Nick Loretta sounds are just great: the key click effects, the "zoom! Jet" stuff, etc. I'll check out the Kontakt sale....obviously I'd rather not have to purchase the full version just for one library, but I'll see. Anything you have to say by way of guidance, I'm definitely listening.