Finale 27 Won't Boot - Mac/Monterey

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

frankb3
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by frankb3 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:37 am

If this is covered elsewhere please let me know. However, I'm brand new to this forum, and hoping to find help. Finale 27 hangs upon launch. I'm on macOS Monterey, MacPro 2019. I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled it with the same result.
Thank you

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to say. Have you filed a support ticket with MakeMusic?

RyanSam
Finale Version: Finale v27

Post by RyanSam » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 am

The same thing happened to me, same operation system while on an M1 2022. I’ve been using finale 27 for over two year’s with no problems, a couple of days ago it start freezing trying to open, but nothing happens , I had to force quit.
MakeMusic think it is due to a significant amount of plug-ins I have on the machine And they suggest I remove them which I haven’t done yet .
I’m very concerned to do so since I don’t know if it will affect the plug-ins or the license of my Universal Audio plug-ins which very expensive.
I also find MakerMusic’s answer a little strange since I have told them ,I’ve been using finale and the plugins for over two years now with no problems. If the plug-ins is the problem, wouldn’t it have been showing up before?.
Any suggestions?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am

Deauthorize Finale, uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. If it works properly, reinstall the plugins a few at a time (although I doubt that’s the provlem.)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:03 pm

miker wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am
Deauthorize Finale, uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. If it works properly, reinstall the plugins a few at a time (although I doubt that’s the provlem.)
Don't!

If one has a large number of plug-ins on a Mac, do not quit, remove, uninstall etc.

Wait till the crash, reopen and try again. Once all of your plug-ins have re-authorized, you will be good to go and you won't see this again. Unless…

If you have NotePerformer, expect this behavior everytime you install or update it (NP updates always require a new install). Why NP forces Finale to reinstall all plug-ins is anyone's guess—but it does.

It was Arne at Wallander who helped me diagnose this on Finale 26 and I forwarded everything to MakeMusic Support — this would have been a few years ago.

Finale would crash my 18 core iMac Pro 4–5 times during this process. My Studio Ultra now crashes only twice on NP updates. The macOS version has nothing to do with it. I can make it happen over Catalina or Sonoma by removing and reinstalling NP.

Other plug-ins behave as they should. Finale verifies the new ones only. Not NotePerformer... The current version 4 behaves identically to v.3 in this regard.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro