Finale Reloads Upon Exit

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GoGuard
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by GoGuard » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:39 pm

For some reason, when I exit Finale, it automatically reloads itself once more, but only on 1 computer. I'm now using v.27, but it did the same on v. 26. Windows, ASUS computer, AMD, A10. 8GB. Any ideas?
GoGuard
“To study music we must learn the rules.
To create music we must break them.” Nadia Boulanger

GoGuard

Post by GoGuard » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:52 pm

I'm not seeing any text in your reply, plus I keep having to login to get here. Something is wrong. I do not have any malware.
GoGuard

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:22 pm

The above is just an ad, masquerading as a post.

In Finale, close any files that are open. Then go to Preferences, Folders tab, and see what folder Temporary Files is set to. Navigate there in Windows; if it's something like

C:\Users\GoGuard\Appdata\Local\Temp

You may have to check Show hidden items from the View tab when you're in Appdata. Once in the Temporary directory, select everything and press Delete. It will not delete some things--that's fine. Then reboot your computer.

If that fixes it, come back here and I'll tell you how to keep it from happening again.

GoGuard

Post by GoGuard » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:13 pm

Thank you. That fixed it. Further instructions?
GoGuard

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:30 pm

If the same problem happens again, you could just repeat what you just did.

But Finale doesn't always handle its temporary files correctly. It both fails to delete things it no longer needs when it exits, and fails to lock those files it doesn't need while it's running. The problem with the latter is that if Finale is left running for a long time, Windows will decide those unlocked temp files are no longer needed and delete them, which can result in your not being able to save your file and lost work.

A solution to the latter to make your own folder for Finale's temporary files, say Documents\Finaletemp, and point to that in Preferences/Folders. The catch is that you'll have to clean it out manually once in a while, since Windows will no longer do it. With Finale not running, you can safely delete everything in it.