PDF Export Problem (postscript?)

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

floross

Post by floross » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:44 pm

Hi there,

I am trying hard to export scores to pdf's but I haven't had any luck so far. I am using Win2K SP4 and Finale 2003.

I tried several tools that translate postcript files into pdf's like Ghostscript, but it seems like there are already a hell lot of mistakes inside the poscript files (eps or ps) already.

I've tried different postcript printer drivers, printing to files, exporting postcript-list, etc. nothing worked.

I have a feeling that it has to do with the fonts I use (expressmusic "ash"-font, truetype), but I am not sure.

For some reason, using Acrobat PDF Writer as a printer works fine, but I am really interested in "why"!

Hope someone is a postscript expert, here... :roll:

FinaleForum
Site Admin
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by FinaleForum » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:49 pm

I've had the same problems with Adobe's different versions not supporting each other. I just tried Paperport Office Pro 9.0 which can print to PDF and it seems to work great. So far my music can be read in several versions of Adobe Acrobat.

You might try this link:

http://www.paperport.com/

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:49 am

:lol: Will try, thanks!

Do you know, why and how Finale puts so much trashy information inside the postscript files, so no translator can make use of them? Even Adobe Distiller gives up after one or two lines...
:twisted:

floross

Post by floross » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:59 am

... sorry forgot to login :oops:

Anyway... Paperport doesn't seem to offer a trial version - and I am not going to buy a software I haven't tried... so what next?

:?: :?: :?:

floross

Post by floross » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:27 am

I tried paperport at a friend's it worked, but the files were much bigger than the ones produced by Arobat... :roll:

It seem like the only "safe" way to send out your scores in pdf's is to export the pages as TIFFs and then translate them into pdf's.

A sample score page was 80kb as TIFF and 54kb as PDF, both @ 600 DPI b/w :wink:

chipzoller

Post by chipzoller » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:40 am

I use Pdf995 which is freeware (technically shareware) and I've never had a problem exporting music scores to .pdf. I've done everything there is to do with multiple fonts and objects and it comes out looking perfect. I would highly recommend it because with another member of the pdf995 suite you can add encryption and rights.

www.pdf995.com

Cheers,

Chip

floross

Post by floross » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:48 am

Hi,

I tried 995 also, but it didn't work. Can you tell me the settings you were using? Especially the "deeper" printer settings...

chipzoller

Post by chipzoller » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:27 pm

Could you please be more specific when you say it didn't work? What exactly happened?

Chip

floross

Post by floross » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:00 pm

:( Well I used the 995 printer and printed directly from Finale. The result was a file that could open in Acrobat but showed only empty staves with cryptic letters and numbers - I reckon the font I am using (ash-music, a type-1 font) could not be "translated" or embedded in the pdf-file and was replaced by a standard font... which of course, in music notation, doesn't make any sense.
I have tried many pdf-programs but always got the same result. I also tried printing to a postscript file and then translate that into a pdf - in this case, however, all software I tried failed and could not even complete the process... :x

chipzoller

Post by chipzoller » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:09 pm

The source of your problem you mention as being the font, a Type-1 font. But you also mention you displayed nothing but empty staves? I don't see how this could be related to the font unless the font (which I am not familiar with) is a symbol encoded font. I myself have used a number of fonts and then printed to the pdf995 driver and everything works fine. Try this...does your problem resolve itself if you use a different font (like Times) for your text objects? How about if you used no text objects. Try printing just music.

Chip

floross

Post by floross » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:16 pm

You're fast! :shock:

Well the Font I am using is Ashmusic for Music and Ashtext for Text, both Type-1, whatever that means...

chipzoller

Post by chipzoller » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:47 pm

Well I can't seem to make private messages work.

Please contact me privately and lets see if we can't resolve this issue.

Chip

Andreas E.

Post by Andreas E. » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:41 pm

http://www.finaleforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44
I think that what I suggested there might also work under Windows 2000.
Andreas E.

floross

Post by floross » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:48 am

This is for everyone who was following the discussion.

The problem was that I was unknowingly using Type-1 fonts for notation instead of truetype - this obviously caused all the problems.

Now that I am using the *.ttf version of the fonts, everything not only works, but even looks better - thanks to ChipZoller!

8)