Optimization Fin 2003

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

floross

Post by floross » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:45 pm

Something strange happens: In Fin 2001 I used to optimize piano(-double)staves, so it would throw out the unused stave, for example when the pianist is playing only left hand for a couple of pages... :cry:

Now, in Fin 2003, when I optimize, all staves remain where they are, although in some passages, they're empty and I checked the box allowing deletion of empty staves... :shock:

Now what? HELP :!:

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:47 pm

floross wrote:...in Fin 2003, when I optimize, all staves remain where they are, although in some passages, they're empty and I checked the box allowing deletion of empty staves...
You mention the fact that the staves to be optimized have to be empty. That's correct, as no notes, no rests (created) should remain. Make sure your staves are REALLY empty (no invisible or unwanted symbols, etc) : to be sure they are, in mass edit tool, I usually select them and use clear (top left on numeric keypad) or Edit/cut and choose the clear button. That's the main thing to check, as you probably know.
But I found other things that apparently make optimization impossible :
1) staff tool : the staff attributes dialog box should have "allow optimization" checked.
2) staff tool : staff style window (define style) dialog box should have "allow optimization" checked, too.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:11 am

floross,

There is one thing more to check, since you are using Finale 2003:

You are working with piano(-double)staves. This means that the two staves are connected as a staff group with a curved bracket. Check out the group attributes for the piano staff group. In Finale 2003 the Group Attributes dialog box has a pop up menu for group optimization. The Group Optimization pop up menu has 3 menu items:

Optimize Normally
Only Remove If All Staves Empty
Never Remove

Obviously you want the first menu item.

Peter

floross

Post by floross » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:04 pm

Hey Peter! :D

Thanks, I forgot about that new item in staff groups!

Now everything is back to "normal"... :roll: