Cyrillic fonts

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bytor153

Post by bytor153 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:16 am

I am having difficulty getting a good Cyrillic font to work properly in Finale 2003 (Windows XP Professional). The default fonts in Windows use extended characters that Finale doesn't seem to recognize properly (it displays them as '?'). I'm working on notating a Tchaikovsky aria from Eugene Onegin and would like to use proper Russian for the lyrics.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've searched the forum archive and various web sites devoted to this and haven't found much to help.

Thank you very much!

chipzoller

Post by chipzoller » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:13 pm

Make sure you include an input language as a cyrillic based language. Otherwise, you will have to input as symbols.

I tried using a cyrillic script font, Times New Roman with Cyrillic codepage, and it worked fine for me. Again, because I didn't have Russian as an input language I had to insert as symbol because the OS (Windows 2000) didn't translate my character codes from keystrokes.

Regards,

Chip

bytor153

Post by bytor153 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:35 pm

Thank you very much for your swift reply!

However, there must be something else I'm overlooking here. I have set up Russian as an input language for my keyboard and can type in Russian with no difficulty in an application such as MS Word. However, if I copy and paste this text into the Edit Lyrics box in Finale, I get something akin to the following: "??-??, ??-??, ??-?? ?? ?-??-??-????". I've played around with code pages as well, but don't see any effect in Finale....

What am I missing?

Thanks!