entering chords in Finale Print Music 2009

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

brdlvs

Post by brdlvs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I have the demo version of the above mentioned product. When trying to enter chords on the second staff they are placed to high-they are in the staff above, making them unreadable. I would buy this program if this problem were solved, however, tech support won't answer my question unless I buy it. If I buy it and have this problem-you get the idea.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm

You can move the staves farther apart, with the staff tool. Post a picture of your problem, and I'm sure we can solve it for you.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

brdlvs

Post by brdlvs » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks for the quick response Miker. How do you move the staves apart, and what do you think of a company that gives you a demo but doesn't explain how to use it? I'm not sure if I can trust Finale to be helpfull.

miker

Post by miker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 pm

To move the staves apart, you use the staff tool, and drag the staves to where you want them. All of this is explained in the Help Files. Go to the index, and look up Staves>Moving Staves.

There are a full set of tutorials and QuickStart videos included with the demo. Take the time to go through them, if you haven't, already. 99% of your questions will be answered. But don't expect to learn the program, even PrintMusic, overnight. The Finale mantra: The first ten years are the hardest.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

TWW
Finale Version: 26.1 PC
Operating System: Windows

Post by TWW » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:21 am

First, an Amen to Miker's suggestion of going through the tutorials and QuickStart.

In addition to adjusting the staff (actually, "system") distances, you may be able to adjust the vertical placement of the lyric using the mouse on the arrow/chevron symbol ">" that appears in the left margin during lyric entry. There are two arrows: the one on the right affects the current lyric line only, and the one on the right affects all the lyrics for that verse.
-Tom Williams
Finale 26.1, Finale 2012

miker

Post by miker » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:42 am

Tom is talking about lyrics, and your issue is chords, but the suggestion is still valid. You can shift the position of the chords with the adjustment arrows. You can also turn off the fretboards, in the Chords menu, which only shows when you have the Chord tool selected.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura