Blasting noise in Aria & Finale 2009 r3

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

korgo

Post by korgo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi there,

hurrray, a new bug! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

When I change somethings in Aria (like adding a new instrument) and hit playback, I sometimes get white noise at maximum volume level that only stops when I quit Finale!

It's so loud that the first time it happened, my ears really hurt - I was worried to have injured my ears!
Watch out coda! You might be getting lawsuits, soon if this doesnt change... :evil:

Somehow the communication between Aria and Finale is less than reliable which causes the player not only to create white noise, but also to hang and blasting you until you quit Finale...

This never happened with using Kontakt1, 2 or 3.

It's again unbelieveable how badly Finale is programmed!

Has anyone had this before? Workaround, fix? It's loud to a point that I am afraid of changing instruments in Aria... Oh and also I need the volume for the output to be so far up because when playing back Finale always sends out some MIDI CC that lowers the volume on all instruments...

Great!

dgatwood
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by dgatwood » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm about to file a formal bug report against Finale for the same issue---deafening white noise. This happened to me two weeks ago on an airplane (it was loud enough that the passenger across the aisle from me heard it and asked if I was okay) and again today. It is to the point that I'm scared to use Finale anymore.

My right ear is still ringing an hour after this latest incident. I don't know what Aria is, though. For me, this was either with Garritan or with MakeMusic: SmartMusicSoftSynth; I think it was the latter.

Obviously this doesn't happen every time I change things; it is sporadic. If it happens reproducibly with Aria, that would be useful info.

Either way, I expect MakeMusic to make finding and fixing this bug their top priority as soon as I file the bug report. If not, this will definitely end up in court. Bugs are one thing; hearing damage is in an entirely different league.

WilliamRAyers

Post by WilliamRAyers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:27 pm

I have experienced a similar noise when I close out of a document window after I have used playback. It doesn't happen every time I close out a window, but every now and then there is a very loud sound, almost like a thin fog horn, that blast out of my speakers or my headphones. My headphones have some protection for sudden loud noise; my speakers do not.

If I reopen the program, the playback on my speakers is intensely deafened, most likely due to the obnoxious sound that just bombarded my computer. Anyway, I would like to know where this leads. If you need a witness, I'll be your Kato, or something like that.

oopsie

Post by oopsie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 am

I also cannot find any info on this and it is adversely affecting my use of Finale 2009. First time it happened, I had my speakers on MAX - because Finale playback was so low, and I nearly fell out of my seat. My head ached, my ears rang, and side of my mouth was sore because I had chomped down on it. I only use headphones now, and whenever I playback a composition, I take the headphones off and wait to see if it blasts out of them, then if it passes my little test, I put the headphones on and replay the piece. I find - most of the time - The Noise doesn't happen midway through playback, but there have been exceptions. I've had it blast over the headphones, and it was so loud, my husband heard and ran in from the other room to ask if I was ok. Awful, awful bug. I'm on eggshells whenever I use finale now. If this doesn't get fixed, finale is going to be paying for alot of hearing aids - and a few pairs of underwear.

mkaisercross

Post by mkaisercross » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Unfortunately I have also had this noise blasted into my ears while, wearing headphones... several times. It still happens frequently but I do not wear headphones anymore. Its still pretty loud through my laptop speakers and I now its causing damage to my 2K dollar Macbook pro's speakers.

These bugs happen, although there should be a free update for finale 2009 users.

Please fix this dangerous audio bug ASAP.

-Michael Kaiser-Cross

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:32 pm

MakeMusic does not monitor the forum. Submit your problem to them through the regular channels. http://finalemusic.com/support.aspx
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society