Some Questions About Midi Keyboards

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RabidFox

Post by RabidFox » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:51 am

Hi there. My name is Johnny. I recently purchased Finale SongWriter 2010, and a feature of the program is the ability to use HyperScribe, which allows the user to input notes via a Midi Keyboard. I'm very curious about this option, as I would like to purchase a Midi Keyboard online to use with the program. However, I cannot get the help file to work. I've been using the reference guide from the Finale website for SongWriter, but it tells me to open the User Manual in order to learn more about how to use a Midi Keyboard with SongWriter. I have already installed the program two times, but I cannot get the help file to work. I was wondering if anyone could answer some of my questions about using a Midi Keyboard with Finale SongWriter 2010?

What type of keyboard would I need to buy? I understand that it should be a Midi Keyboard, but I'm not sure if there are limitations to what SongWriter can handle or if there are some preferred brands out there that are better than others for usage with the program. I'm wanting a keyboard that can play more than just piano music and has different instrumentation options, for example the ability to play harp music.

Then after that I need to know how one would setup the keyboard to be compatible with the program? As mentioned before, I cannot get the help file to work. The program that I'm using is the full, paid version, but it just won't load the help file. I am hoping that when the CD comes in the mail, I can reinstall the program again and it will properly install the help file. But until then I have nothing to reference.

And lastly, I'm just curious about how HyperScribe will work once I have the keyboard hooked up. I notice that it does not have the ability to use Human Playback, though, I'm not entirely sure what that means. If someone could explain Human Playback to me a little better that would be helpful. Then what are the limitations to using a Midi Keyboard? Can it enter all of the different notations, including rests? Is there any particular area of music that it has difficulty with? How easy is it to use and what kind of compatibility should I expect?

I've never had a Midi Keyboard before, so this is very new to me. However, I am familiar with a typical electronic keyboard.

Thank you.