Iambic Speedy Entry

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Duston
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Duston » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:01 pm

"Press caps lock; then press the number key on the computer keyboard corresponding to the value you want to enter. In other words, you’re now telling Finale what the note values are going to be before you specify the pitches. Use CTRL+number to enter a series of tuplets."

I love that feature, but I came across a situation yesterday where the rhythm was dotted-quarter/eighth repeatedly. I'd love a Speedy Entry feature where you can set an iamb so that when you press the keys (on the piano) the notes alternate in value.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:27 pm

I thought maybe this post was about lambic beer. :-)

Seriously, that's a good suggestion. Another common situation is where you have a run of eighth notes with eighth rests in between. I've gone so far as to cobble up something with third-party software (Bome's MIDI Translator) to automatically insert rests between notes.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:11 pm

this IS one of the spots where I find that Dorico is easier to use. setting the base value of the notes in your tuplet (for example starting out with eighths), you can enter any note value, and it will create 8th note triplets but subdivided or tied, or whatever, for the note value you're inputting.

set 8th note triplet, then enter dotted eights, and it will simply enter 8th note triplets, but with dotted 8th notes in them. enter repeated dotted 8ths and it will even break the notes and renotate them as tied notes so that your 8th note triplets all have note values of a dotted 8th.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:48 am

1) A general solution that works for any repeated rhythm pattern:
- Enter one measure with the rhythm pattern.
- Select the measure, and copy the entries to the following measures, as many times as needed.
- Use the Simple Entry Tool’s sub-tool Repitch Tool to adjust the note pitches.
Using the Repitch Tool is very fast - since the rhythmical values are already specified.

2) There is a way (workaround) to change a string of 8ths into the rhythm pattern {dotted 8th - 16th}.

3) The rhythm pattern {dotted 8th - 16th} occurs quite often.
In spite of the options 1) and 2), a new, easy way of entering the rhythm pattern {dotted 8th - 16th} would be most welcome.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:06 pm

IIRC, JW Meter and Rhythm will do that. Enter straight eighths, and apply the plugin.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society