highlighting

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hwmcswain
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by hwmcswain » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:06 am

Greetings:

I have a suggestion for Finale: the ability to highlight sections of music.

Here's an application for it: say that I'm teaching a choir to sing the "Amen" from "Messiah" (or any fugue), and I wish to highlight the subject in yellow, the countersubject in green, the answer in orange (or whatever's called for). It would make learning the parts easier, and, as a conductor, I use a highlighter coloring scheme to help me with memorization/learning/etc. Could be a powerful tool in several other applications, too, such as in a classroom setting and wanting to highlight something being projected on a screen.

Note that this is a different request than using layer-colors. I'd like to highlight sections of an entire stave, meaning, all five lines, not just notes, with the ability to stop or start highlighting wherever I want according to the smallest beat value (quarter, half, eighth, etc.).

This suggestion may have already come up; if so, apologies! Couldn't find it in the archives!

Hal McSwain
Finale 2012c
Windows
Hal
Windows 10; 8 gig ram, Pentium i7 processor, > 100 gig free hard drive space
Finale 25, latest update

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Not a new suggestion, but a great one, nonetheless.

Please submit it to MakeMusic through the support section of their website. that way, it will be officially "logged."
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

hwmcswain
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by hwmcswain » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:50 am

Mike:

Thanks. I went to makemusic, and tried to post a suggestion. Apparently, that element of their web page isn't working. I'll hold on to the suggestion, but if anybody else knows how to post it, please go ahead.

Incidentally, I learned the music-color-marking scheme from my conducting teacher, Otto-Werner Mueller.

Hal
Hal
Windows 10; 8 gig ram, Pentium i7 processor, > 100 gig free hard drive space
Finale 25, latest update

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:24 am

You do it as a technical support submission. Evidently, they think that the program is so good, there is no need for a "suggestion/request" category.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society