Staff Names and Abbreviated Staff Names

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

theoceanfrog

Post by theoceanfrog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:03 am

I hope this one is:

Right clicking twice on every staff to edit a staff name and it's abbreviation seems nuts. Why not make a single dialog with TWO FIELDS for both names? Also, it'd be nice to be able to switch from staff WITHIN the dialog to change the names...

ALSO

While you're at it, this should ALSO be accessible from the "edit Staff Attributes" dialog - not just changing the position of the staff name :)

This could even be done without a new version number, - hint hint!

Rock on, guys and gals!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 am

You can make those changes to the staff name and abbreviated name in the Score Manager. (But I agree, being able to do them in a single dialogue box might be handy.)

You can also move from staff to staff, change instrument, change channels and specify initial clef and transposition.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:10 am

theoceanfrog wrote:…this should ALSO be accessible from the "edit Staff Attributes" dialog - not just changing the position of the staff name…
To change the default staff name positions:

Staff Tool.
Staff menu > Set Default Name Positions > …

Since this dialog box affects the default name positions, it will position all the names “in one go”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

christopherjhoh
Finale Version: Finale 26.1

Post by christopherjhoh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:23 pm

great idea!

dgatwood
Finale Version: 2012

Post by dgatwood » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:46 am

On the subject of staff names, I'd settle for Finale ensuring that the staff names actually fall within the printer's page margins instead of extending all the way to the edge of the theoretically but not actually printable page. :)

I'd also love to see more control over showing the staff names in parts. Right now, you can kludge around it by adding a staff style in parts where you want to show the part name, but it would be a lot more sane if they replaced the two checkboxes with one checkbox that says "Show staff name in this part/score" and made it entirely independent for each part.