reset button

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bluenail

Post by bluenail » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:08 pm

…can I have a simple reset button in the File Menu. This will reset the software in the default mode, as in some other software 8)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:50 pm

bluenail,

Pardon my ignorance, but what do You mean by the word 'Reset'?

Finale has some Program Options, e. g.

1. New Document, with the panes
* Default Document
* Default New Operation
* Startup Action
* New Document Windows (View Percentage, View, Show)

2. Open File, with the panes
* Text Conversion
* Tie Conversion
* Human Playback for [Before-2004] Files

&c.
&c.

8. Palettes and Backgrounds, with the panes
* Palette Style
* Palette Action
* Document Window Background
* Manuscript Texture

Do You mean a button that will change all these preferences back to the settings made at the installation of Finale?

Or do You mean something completely different?

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bluenail

Post by bluenail » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:17 pm

You hit it on the head Peter “a button that will change all preferences back to the settings made at the installation of Finale” such as in 3D Max.
This Problem arises because I’m a beginner and sometimes the Finale does not respond to what (I) a beginner intended, But it responds the way Finale is intended to preform. Then I have to figure out what I have done wrong and fix it. That is OK when I know what to do, at the moment I am not too sure.

By having such a command (back to installation setting) it gives me more confidence of starting afresh with a clean sheet shall we say. Once I master the program then maybe there is no need for it.

buenail

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:14 pm

What you want is already possible.

There isn't a "Reset" button, so you have to do the reset manually:

All the Program Option settings I described in my first posting, are stored in Finale's Preference file.

If you trash the Preference file (or just move it to another folder where Finale can't find it), Finale will create a new Preference file with the default Program Settings.

And where is that Preference file?

I can't speak for the Windows OS, but in Mac OS there is a folder containing Preference files for all the programs installed in the system (e. g. Adobe Reader, Mail, Preview, Safari, TextEdit).
This is where Finale initially creates and stores its Preference file.
Path:
~/User/Library/Preferences.

You can move the Preference file to the Finale folder - a wise thing to do if you have more than one version installed.
When the program is launched, Finale will look for its Preference file, first in its own Finale folder, then in the Preferences folder.

As you can see from my signature, I have 3 versions of Finale installed: 2004, 2005 and 2006.
Each version resides in its own Finale folder containing its own Preference file.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Nickie Fønshauge

Post by Nickie Fønshauge » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:12 pm

On a PC I think removing Finale.ini in the main Finale folder does the same thing.