Copying Shortcut

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TDinDC
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by TDinDC » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Finale 25, Windows 10

Years ago, when I wrote scores by hand, I used to write 'Col meas 17-20' for example to indicate music should be copied from one location to another verbatim. Currently the same task is carried out in Finale by finding the source measures, selecting them, Ctrl-C to copy, finding the first destination measure and Ctrl-V to paste.

My suggestion is to reinstate the "Col" and let Finale do the rest of the work. The command should allow copying from one instrument to another, automatic transposition, and optional interval-based transposition. So, the simplest command might look like "Col meas 17-20" indicating to copy from measures 17 thru 20, the same instrument, to the current location. Proceeding to the most complex version, it might look like "Col meas 17-20, Clar 1, 8va down" indicating to copy from the 1st clarinet part, measures 17-20, automatically transposing it for the new instrument, and then transposing the result down an octave. One might also envision a multi-staff version that would, say, copy a region for the entire string section to a new region.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:21 pm

TDinDC wrote:… Currently the same task is carried out in Finale by finding the source measures, selecting them, Ctrl-C to copy, finding the first destination measure and Ctrl-V to paste …
Actually there is a shortcut:
Select the source region, hold down the correct modifier key (Alt? Ctrl? - I am not sure), and click the destination.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:50 pm

The octave transposition to the new instrument already exists.