New Note heads with Guitar Tab

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009
Operating System: Windows

Post by Fulcanelli » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:16 pm

I am a guitar teacher and use both manuscript and TAB notation systems with my students. It would be very useful to add note heads for half and whole notes in TAB. One of the commercial guitar magazines, Guitar World Acoustic, includes TAB with complete rhythm symbols included. It's very useful for someone who can't read, but has read music on other instruments. A simple circle for the half note would work, and a circle with no stem for the whole note.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:42 pm

You can create the circle in the Shape Designer, and attach the circle as an articulation or a note expression.

Personally I think that the circle looks good with a Line Thickness of 0.5 Points, and a diameter of 6 Points (NB: I'm using Points as Measurement Units!).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Fulcanelli
Finale Version: Finale 2009
Operating System: Windows

Post by Fulcanelli » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Does this mean that every time I want to display a tab half-note, I must access another menu to put it in? I'll definitely check this out when I have the time. It still would be nice to have as a built-in feature right in the program.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 pm

Yes, you have to attach each and every circle notehead separately.

And yes, it would be a nice feature to have.
I strongly recommend that you submit this feature request to MakeMusic.
And don't forget to include your Finale serial number, since the feature requests get priority relative to, how many serial numbers that request the feature.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996