Unicode Support

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Whitey Green

Post by Whitey Green » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 pm

I very much need to enter lyrics and text on my scores in multiple languages - including languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet. Can unicode support be enabled through a plug-in or would that be a significant overhaul of the software that would require a new release?

I just purchased Finale (April 2008) and though I am happy with all other functions, it didn't even down on me to check to see if the software was unicode compliant - after all it is 2008, I thought everyone did support unicode.

I am beginning the search for other notation software that supports unicode - as of yet, I have only invested the time to create a dozen or so pieces in Finale - so it is not too late to switch if the unicode option is not forthcoming.

Are there any plans for unicode soon? Please...

bameylan

Post by bameylan » Wed May 28, 2008 12:10 am

Same wish: when an unicode support? I'm working with czech letters and must use two fonts for my work.

Bernard

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Wed May 28, 2008 6:11 am

When you use the Lyrics tool, there is a line "edit lyrics..." in the lyrics menu. and in the following box there is another menu format. you can change the font you want to use there. you will probably have a cyrillic font on your computer, does this not work?

for the czech letters I used to use the font "Times New Roman ISO 8859_2". Send me a PM if you do not have it, I could send it to you.

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10

bameylan

Post by bameylan » Wed May 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Peter, thanks for the offer. But my remark as to do with the unicode support, and more generally: almost all the concurrents of Finale (Harmony Assistant, Sibelius...) have this support, and that is what you can wait from a software like Finale, no?

Bernard

marangy

Post by marangy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:12 am

Does anybody have any new information about this thread?
I didn't have this problem on Windows platform, but on Mac - Finale producers didn't think about us users who are not using main world languages.