ReWire.

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

erock2112

Post by erock2112 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 pm

I'd like finale to be able to be used as a rewire client in a DAW, such as cubase, sonar, pro tools, etc. My experience is that notation editors, when included, in these programs tend to be nearly useless, especially when compared to finale. I think it would be great to be able to open finale as a rewire client within cubase and use it as an alternate way to enter midi information.

Yes, I'm aware that this can be done in a roundabout way by exporting midi files or xml. I'd like to be able to use finale to modify my midi sequence in real time, while I'm running my DAW. It seems like, if it's allowed by the rewire structure, this would be relatively easy to accomplish: the track names become staff names, tempo changes are read from the tempo track, and notes are derived from the sequence. It would be very similar to importing a midi file into finale, but one could make changes in finale and see them reflected in the rewire host's sequencer.

Also, and I'm using 2007, so this might be fixed by now, when copying music via the mass edit tool, time signatures don't copy. This means that in order to fit what I'm copying into the place I'm copying it, I have to go through and make time signatures, measure by measure. This is incredibly time consuming if I have several movements of a piece that are saved as different finale files and I'm copying them all into one file.

That gives me another idea. I'd like to see some sort of section dividers, where I could, for example, write one movement of a piece at a time but have each movement within the same finale file, without simply adding measures in between. Then I could write a third movement first, with placeholder sections for the first and second movements, and not have to do any copying between files when I'm ready to finalize and print my score.

awmcomposer

Post by awmcomposer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

I was just logging in to suggest REWIRE as well.

Now protools (or avid) owns Sibelius, it is well integrated into Protools 8, making switching to Sibelius more and more appealing. I have been using Finale for over 15 years now... I love the program and don't want to change, but being able to have my notation linked in like that will make a HUGE difference to my ability to work quickly.

How complicated would it be to do? Even if rewire only allowed protools (or whatever other DAW) to control Finale's playback, that would be enough for me really.

I fear all film/media types will go to Sibelius if something like this doesn't happen. I already hear them talking... :(

Cheers!

ud dude

Post by ud dude » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 am

yes please

I have been thinking this as well

I would add that I would want to be able to "drag and drop" midi "clips between host and slave and slave and host.
thanks
the ud dude

finalehotmaster

Post by finalehotmaster » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:00 am

I agree with all of you. I had to do a cue for a supervisor and they wanted a classical feel... Naturally I went to my Finale, but found the process frustrating and complicated. Something so simple becomes so laborious and stupid.

All the flexibility that you need in composition goes out the window with the transfer process (midi's to the sequencer). If you want to make a change or try new things out, you either have to go through the process again, or just give up and fix it in the sequencer blind (blind meaning unable to follow harmony lines and see the whole picture in notation).

Maybe I'm wrong when I say this but I get the feeling that the Finale staff has an attitude of 'our way or the highway.' Otherwise I can't explain why Finale doesn't have an interface with a sequencer in 2010... I see cheap software done by mom & pop enterprises that has either VST/AU integration or ReWire.

For the today's working composer it's rather ludicrous to expect them to work ONLY in Finale, or expect them to put on hold the creative process while doing tedious midi transfers and assignments.

Don't get me wrong, I love working in Finale, but it's like having a million bucks then being stranded on a deserted island. I really don't want to learn Sibelius now. But I won't stick around for long if this continues though.

Anyway, excuse the rant, but I just spent hours transferring a piece and assigning it... and now that I have to retouch it's a nightmare.