transcription

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

zozimus

Post by zozimus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm

I would like to see software, which may already exist, that analyzes a digital signal, say, from a CD, and transcribes all it hears into musical notation. I keep hearing rumors that such software does exist but I've never encountered it.

It would be very handy for jazz-musicians who are trying to learn from the masters of the past. Ideally, one would be able to target the timbre of an individual instrument and order the software to transcribe just that instrument. That way, one would be able to develop all the parts of an orchestra or big band. The sofware would be able to separate out parts of chords in homophonic ensembles.

In contrapuntal jazz, the software would transcribe each instrument, individually, say, trumpet, clarinet, trombone, bass, piano, etc.

This would be a great labor-saving device.
Eric N. Grosch

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 am

For a single monodic instrument, it is possible, but for complex polyphonic instruments or ensembles, we are not there yet. At least that's the answer that most of use would give until now. But check out Melodyne, which is working in that direction. A new version (due in August 2009) claims to be able, with their "direct note access" technology to extract/separate/modify some elements taken out of their context.
Now this has to be tested. I can imagine a separation could be possible for a quartet with clearly contrasted instruments (tp, p, b, drs), but for symphonic or big band scores, that remains to be seen. From what I see from their information material, you can separate notes of a polyphonic instrument (gt, piano, harp) or of a group of instruments of the same family, like a string section.
Read : http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=635
and the developer's interview, with an amazing demo showing the technology applied to guitar music : http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna_interview
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua