Controller 7 not properly affecting volume sliders in Aria

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tomposer

Post by Tomposer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:34 am

Pertaining to Finale 2009, with the Aria player and Garritan sounds:

After canvasing this for a couple of days on this and other forums, and plenty of experimenting, I've still not discovered a way of being able to set the volume sliders in the Aria player to maximum *from Finale,* at least without them being reset once playback begins.

That is to say:
Any number of ways of sending '127' on controller 7 to the aria player don't make the slider move to maximum. That includes by adjusting the mixer in Finale, the instrument list setting, by editing continuous data in a staff, by setting an expression item to send the data, or by sliding the 'base instrument' slider in the HP settings menu to max.

The only exception to this (for some unknown reason) is by using the "send midi value" from the MIDI/Audio menu, however the sliders are immediately reset to somewhere between mid way and maximum upon playback.

Indeed, manually dragging the sliders to max in the aria player, as a possible solution, is foiled because playback always resets the sliders to some mid-way position, even without any continuous data in the music or any obvious reason why playback should trigger this effect.

The results of this are:
1) datum 127 presumably corresponds with a maximum setting of a volume slider on the aria player, as sending this value from the MIDI/Audio menu as described above *does* set the sliders to max, (contrarily, no other way of sending out 127 of controller 7 has this effect) though they are dragged back again upon playback.

2) HOWEVER, because of the above, it is difficult to assess the levels of the volume between tracks in relation to one another, as it is unclear where a given datum is setting the slider in the aria player. It means that the proper method of balancing instrument volume (ie using VOLUME, NOT key velocity) becomes unreliable and baffling.

3) also because of the above, and more importantly, it is impossible to get any headroom. The sliders can't be set to max, and usually produces insufficient volume and this (as I've divulged from others) is best made up for by adding extra DBs in the reverb plug in. This makes it possible to attain a tolerable output, but it is a work-around.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong on any of these points, or to be shown what it is I'm missing... but in absence of that, this would certainly be on my wish list for improving a new version. Indeed, is this an issue in Finale 2010???

Cheers!
-
Tom.