Divisi

Post your wishes for future features in Finale here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

filmtunes

Post by filmtunes » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:00 pm

About divisi staves: you create them for the whole document, and at the end you optimize, throwing out all empty staves. This works - but imagine you want to have different divisi, soli or combinations of stands in the string section (cf. Ravel, Strauss, etc.). Before optimization you would have to work with hundreds of unused staves in the scroll view!

So here is my wish: with a simple command tell the programm something like "I would like the cellos split into three sections from mesure x to measure y."

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:28 pm

You will not have "hundreds of unused staves" since you probably will not have hundreds of players in your strings section. You do not need to show all staves while working, hide the unused staves for the time you do not work on them! There is a possibility to do it in the view menu (I have a german version an do not know the translation, but you will find it!).
Peter

bernhard

Post by bernhard » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:51 pm

Okay, maybe not hundreds of staves but a lot. It's not a question of number of players but a question of combination of names. Imagine, that you use some of the following splittings (of just one of the string instruments):

tutti
solo, the others
first stand, the others
first stand, second stand, the others
first solo, second solo, the others
first solo, second solo, third solo, the others
first part (of two), second part (of two)
first part (of three), second part (of three), third part (of three), etc.

This is not farfetched! Maybe there are just six players in this section, but there are a lot of different names for those staves. Using just once one of those splittings calls for new staves on the whole document.

Peter S.

Post by Peter S. » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:20 pm

bernhard wrote:This is not farfetched! Maybe there are just six players in this section, but there are a lot of different names for those staves. Using just once one of those splittings calls for new staves on the whole document.
NO! You need four staves, the names are no problem, you can change it with staff styles!

Peter

bernhard

Post by bernhard » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:24 pm

Then please tell me, Peter, how to change the name of a staff in the middle of the score. (Unfortunately I bought the french edition, and its userguide is completely useless. In my former english edition I always found what I needed, but the french index is n'importe quoi...)

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:13 am

bernhard wrote:how to change the name of a staff in the middle of the score
As Peter S. said, you can create staff styles which will have a specific staff name, and which you can apply to the region of your choice in the staff of your choice. Here is the detailed procedure (with the English terms) :
Staff Tool
Staff menu
Define Staff styles
New
Name the staff style as you want, and define the staff name, full and abbreviated.
Make sure that under the Items to display, staff name is seleted.
Back in your score, select the region in the appropriate staff, and apply the newly created staff style.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

filmtunes

Post by filmtunes » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:12 pm

Thank you vey much for your advice, Michel and Peter. It works for the score. But it still seems a very awkward way to make a simple thing like divisi. And what a mess to extract the parts...
I still think that my WISH makes sens :
With a single command tell the programm something like
I would like the cellos be divided into three sections from mesure X to measure Y, having names A, B and C. And they should all be extracted to the same cello part, like all following cello divisi.

But maybe this is an impossible wish. On the box of Finale is the first page of "Le Sacre du Printemps". Do you think it is possible to do the whole opus, not only one page, in a SINGLE document and export the parts properly?

Peter S.

Post by Peter S. » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:32 pm

filmtunes wrote:And what a mess to extract the parts...
Do you know that there is a possibility to combine single staves to groups? Make a group of all your Cello-Staves and you can extract the group, that's easy. In the extracted part you can optimize the staves again and that's it.
filmtunes wrote:Do you think it is possible to do the whole opus, not only one page, in a SINGLE document and export the parts properly?
I know people who wrote whole operas in one single document, why not?