Word Extension Error

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dct333

Post by dct333 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Hello,

I am notating an arrangement for one my friends and have come to a frustrating obstacle. The arrangement is a four part men (TTBB) a cappella vocal jazz piece.

I have finished inputing all notes, rhythms, articulations, and lyrics and I am ready to send the PDF out. The problem is that on the Bari and Bass lines there is a word extension on one page that seems to go accross the whole page and then behind the next page and then stops in the background of the program. The line appears in the PDF so it is not just a line on the screen. I have messed with everything to try and fix the mysterious lines, including retyping lyrics, deleting and changing the word extensions, and even copying and pasting everything to a new document, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
dct333
Attachments
Finale Forum Clip.jpg
Word Extension Clip
Finale Forum Clip.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 7355 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:42 pm

If you've already tried "everything", then there's nothing to do about it (just kidding).

Without examining the actual .mus document it's difficult to pinpoint the culprit.

I suggest that you upload a short (!) .mus sample document that shows the problem.
You could e. g. upload a document containing only the problem page.

This forum doesn't allow upload of .mus files, so you must compress the file first, e. g. as a .zip file.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

dusty_jr

Post by dusty_jr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 am

dct333 -

I'm having the same problem with my first composition with lyrics (Finale 2010b). The one solution I've found is to use the Selection Tool to click to select the line, then right-click on the selected line and choose "Delete". In my case, I sometimes had to do this multiple times. (Apparently there were multiple lines overlaid one on top of the other and they all had to be deleted.)

I can't explain how it happens in the first place, but try this and see if you have the same results.

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by at8ax » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:36 pm

I find it happens if I've attached a lyric syllable to a Layer 2 note that has nothing but Layer 1 after it. You might try going to the initial measure of the wayward extension and changing its properties in the Measure tool to prevent said extension from crossing the barline. You might be left with a bit of line within that measure, but that's easily deleted.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:43 pm

This has been a problem for years. At least in 2011, once you delete the extension, it stays deleted. I have been asking for an invisible "break the extension HERE" character, but no dice, so far.

You can try this, though: Insert and hide a 128th rest at the end of the measure. It works pretty well.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by at8ax » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm

It's an interesting idea, the 128th rest, but isn't it a lot more work that way?

miker

Post by miker » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Not really. Only you can decide if it's more trouble then tracking down the end of the word extension, clicking in the box, and deleting. Sometimes more than once.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

christopherjhoh
Finale Version: Finale 26.1

Post by christopherjhoh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks, atbax and miker! This seemingly random error has plagued me off and on for years. Both the "break word extensions" measure option and the invisible 128th rest work. It's still very annoying that the bug remains unaddressed, but the workarounds you suggest are very, very helpful! chris

miker

Post by miker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Actually, since these old posts, I have started using a grace rest, instead. The steps are the same, and very quick.

(This is on a Mac, but the keystrokes are the pretty much same on Windows.)

Numberpad 4, for eighth note. Click it in.
Opt-G, changes to grace.
R, changes to rest.
H, hides it.

The last 3 steps can be done in any order, of course. Total time, maybe 3 seconds...
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

christopherjhoh
Finale Version: Finale 26.1

Post by christopherjhoh » Thu May 30, 2019 2:38 pm

I have found recently that it can help to re-type the lyric syllables (and intervening spaces) around the offending lyric extension line. This has worked for me either with the Type Into Score approach; or going to the Lyrics Window and highlighting the "bad" space and typing a new space. The latter method used to wipe out some subsequent text from the score and required reinserting it with click assignment. Lately, that has not been a problem. The above holds for Finale 26 in my experience and may actually have started working in later versions of Finale 25.