Laptop Keyboard Problems

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

drummerboy120
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by drummerboy120 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 am

Hello, I was using my MacBook Pro keyboard for shortcuts in Finale 2014. Throughout this whole time, I have been able to use these keyboard shortcuts with no problems instead of opening up windows in Finale. I just closed Finale, and when I opened it back up to work on a score, I found out that I am now unable to use Expression or Articulation keyboard shortcuts. I did not change anything in Finale (that I really know of). Does anyone know what has changed in Finale that doesn't let me use some keyboard shortcuts? Thank you.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:12 am

Welcome to the forum.

Do your shortcuts work in other documents?

Have you tried restarting the computer?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

drummerboy120

Post by drummerboy120 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:18 pm

miker wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Do your shortcuts work in other documents?

Have you tried restarting the computer?
Hello, I tried using the shortcuts in another document, and still no luck.

I then restarted my computer, opened up Finale, and tried the shortcuts in my current work, and again it did not work.

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Are you referring to the built-in Finale metatools, or are these shortcuts that you have programmed yourself?

If you have set them up, can you describe them for us?
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

drummerboy120

Post by drummerboy120 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:37 pm

miker wrote:Are you referring to the built-in Finale metatools, or are these shortcuts that you have programmed yourself?

If you have set them up, can you describe them for us?
I am referring to the keyboard shortcuts for dynamics, such as pressing the number "7" for the "piano" dynamic, or the letter "F" for the "fp" dynamic. I am also referring to the keyboard shortcuts for all articulations, such as the letter "A" for inputting an accent above or below a note, or the letter "T" for a trill to be placed above a note. None of the shortcuts in each of these categories are working. Now, shortcuts for viewing the score, such as zooming in with "command, +" are working, though.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm

drummerboy120 wrote:…I am referring to the keyboard shortcuts for dynamics, such as pressing the number "7" for the "piano" dynamic, or the letter "F" for the "fp" dynamic. I am also referring to the keyboard shortcuts for all articulations, such as the letter "A" for inputting an accent above or below a note, or the letter "T" for a trill to be placed above a note. None of the shortcuts in each of these categories are working…
Metatools for expressions and articulations are document specific.

In the dialog boxes Expression Selection and Articulation Selection you can see the metatool trigger keys displayed in the upper right corner of each expression/articulation rectangle.
If you do not see the trigger keys displayed, then they are not programmed in that document.
ArticulationSelection.JPG
ArticulationSelection.JPG (39.08 KiB) Viewed 21691 times
They are programmed in the Default Document (Maestro Font Default) unless you have changed it.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

drummerboy120

Post by drummerboy120 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
drummerboy120 wrote:…I am referring to the keyboard shortcuts for dynamics, such as pressing the number "7" for the "piano" dynamic, or the letter "F" for the "fp" dynamic. I am also referring to the keyboard shortcuts for all articulations, such as the letter "A" for inputting an accent above or below a note, or the letter "T" for a trill to be placed above a note. None of the shortcuts in each of these categories are working…
Metatools for expressions and articulations are document specific.

In the dialog boxes Expression Selection and Articulation Selection you can see the metatool trigger keys displayed in the upper right corner of each expression/articulation rectangle.
If you do not see the trigger keys displayed, then they are not programmed in that document.
ArticulationSelection.JPG
They are programmed in the Default Document (Maestro Font Default) unless you have changed it.
I see the trigger keys in each rectangle. I checked to see if Maestro Font Default was changed, but it is still the same.

shaman
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by shaman » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:25 am

I'm experiencing the exact same issue now and it seems that there was never a resolution for you? Same version and operating system.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:21 pm

shaman,

Welcome to the forum!

I am sorry, but I do not know why the metatools suddenly do not work.
Perhaps it is time to contact the folks in Tech Support at MakeMusic.

Rodrigus
Finale Version: 2014d
Operating System: Windows

Post by Rodrigus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm having the same problems, and I found out that if you keep pressed the "ctrl" key and then other key (ex. ctrl+4 in expressions and then click, you will get the "F" which you would usually get just with the 4 + click). Don't know what's the reason for this, but it's quite troublesome.

It started happening to me after I upgraded to Windows 10, but can't find the source of the problem, I even put my old keyboard driver again, but still nothing changing.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:53 pm

drummerboy120 wrote:…I am referring to the keyboard shortcuts for dynamics, such as pressing the number "7" for the "piano" dynamic, or the letter "F" for the "fp" dynamic. I am also referring to the keyboard shortcuts for all articulations, such as the letter "A" for inputting an accent above or below a note, or the letter "T" for a trill to be placed above a note. None of the shortcuts in each of these categories are working. Now, shortcuts for viewing the score, such as zooming in with "command, +" are working, though.
There is an important difference between {shortcuts for viewing the score, such as zooming in with "command, +"} and {metatools for inserting expressions and articulations}, namely that you need to click when inserting expressions and articulations via metatool shortcuts.

The culprit could be your track pad rather than the metatool trigger keys.

Have you tried using an external mouse, connected to the laptop?

Rodrigus

Post by Rodrigus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:18 pm

I have the exact same problem, and using an external mouse doesn't help, it's still the same.

miker

Post by miker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Please contact tech support. They need as much info as they can get, about problems with the new Windows release.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Rodrigus

Post by Rodrigus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 pm

I have posted in there but they don't seem to care :S it's so annoying

Rodrigus

Post by Rodrigus » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Still no solution about this problem? does anyone know something else?

Jmcm16
Finale Version: Finale 2011

Post by Jmcm16 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:51 pm

A while back, either the MakeMusic forum or the Finale forum had found a solution. Though I can't find the post, the solution was to reset the keyboard by typing random jargon (can be anything) into a Microsoft Word/Notepad/Other typing program and then returning to Finale 2011. Though the solution seems rather odd, it does free up the problem of tool shortcuts from being locked to one key. I do this every time Finale 2011 shortcuts lock up. I don't know much about the internals of Finale to really give any technical reason as to why.

bkviolin
Finale Version: 2018

Post by bkviolin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 am

I found a solution that functions with 2018 but is not quite perfect. If I am trying to add an articulation, let's say the dot "." articulation with hotkey "S", I hold S, press CTRL and then click on the note and the articulation is added. This is only necessary on my laptop; on my desktop I don't have to press CTRL. It's not unbearably inconvenient but should be fixed.

nickrobin
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by nickrobin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am

I have also suffered a lot from the Keyboard problem on my Windows 7 system. I also downloaded all the drivers on my system, but still, it is showing some compatibility error with my system. I think it was the Windows update error code 8007000e and can easily be solved by just upgrading the system.