best way to convert fonts in existing file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi all,

What is the best way to convert all the fonts in an existing Finale file? I have a few lead sheets currently in the Jazz font, and I'd like to convert them to the standard default fonts (for everything; notes, text, chords, etc) without too much headache. :) Is there a good way to do that or not? I'm using Finale 2014.5 for Windows.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Changing the Default Music font (Document menu) will change most things that are defined to use the default music font: e.g. dynamics, articulations, plus basic notation.
You can also change things in the Document Options > Fonts panel, though for some things this only affect newly created elements. Beyond that, you have to use the Change Fonts plug-in (under Miscellaneous); and then the Font Change/Replace utility in Document menu > Data Check.

Chord Symbol suffixes have their own font change menu item in the Chord Tool's menu, though this doesn't always work well.

Finale comes with several Library files that change various settings: you might want to try loading some of those and seeing what happens.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Here's the way I do it:

√ Make a template that contains the default Maestro fonts and libraries (articulations, expressions, chords, etc). Make as many copies of this as you have files you want to convert.
√ Copy your Jazz font file into the new template.

You'll now see what needs changing and what is good to go. It usually is articulations, expressions and chord suffixes.
Use the following steps to swap out the old for the new.

√ For Chord Suffixes, go to the suffix selection box. The copied in old suffixes will appear at the bottom of the selection. Select one of these and hit the delete button. Finale will ask you if you want to replace the suffix with another. Select the proper suffix from the selection nearer to the top. Hit OK. Continue with all of the remaining old suffixes, one by one.

√ For articulations, follow the same procedure as the chord suffixes to swap out the old with the new.

√ Expressions are similar, except you'll have to negotiate the different categories. Same drill - delete the old and specify which new you want.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Fortunately, since they are lead sheets, it shouldn't be too much of a headache no matter which way you do it.

Going forward, unless you have a need to put them into a jazz font from the beginning (some do), it's not a bad idea to use Maestro as your default, then change to one of the specialty fonts when you are done. I usually do that with a copy of my original.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Forgot to ask, what's the default font for guitar Tabs, and how would I convert those? I have some of those to deal with in my jazz lead sheet files.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 pm

ry1633 wrote:Forgot to ask, what's the default font for guitar Tabs, and how would I convert those? I have some of those to deal with in my jazz lead sheet files.
If you decide to follow my suggestion to make a Maestro template and copy your files in, there should be no conversion needed. The fonts will automatically appear in the proper font. As far as I know.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:48 am

Any way to turn off the chord suffix superscript? Apparently in the jazz template, chords have a superscript, but in the standard default template they do not. And it doesn't work just to copy it over from one template to the next.

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Finale support told me to export the file with the jazz fonts as Music XML then import it into a new default template. That kinda worked and kinda didn't - there were still a few elements like expressions and repeats that stayed in the jazz font.

I'd like to set up a good default template that has all the correct industry standard fonts - I need them for notes, text, lyrics, expressions, repeats, chords and guitar tab numbers. Is there a list somewhere of what the industry-standard fonts for music notation that people like Hal Leonard or Mel Bay would use? The Finale support person I emailed said they didn't have one. I was wondering if anyone here might know what they are? Maybe that way I can try what someone suggested before if I can get a pro template set up first.