help with guitar capo chords

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

ry1633

help with guitar capo chords

Post by ry1633 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:16 am

I am trying to notate guitar chords with a capo, which despite being a long-time Finale user, is something I really haven't done before. I made this excerpt with the Utilities - Add/Remove Capo chords command. But I was wondering if this is right. Trying to show a B-flat chord that is an A chord capo-ed at the first fret. Do I need to actually notate an A chord in the staff? I tried that, but then the utility made the symbol into an A-flat chord. So either I'm doing something wrong or not understanding how the utility works?
Attachments
B-flat guitar capo Finale.jpg
B-flat guitar capo Finale.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 1365 times

Re: help with guitar capo chords

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:04 am

If you want to show the notes for the capo chord in the written notes. Make an A chord (A E A C#). Then enter the Bb chord symbol above, but set it to Capo at the first fret. It will then show as an A chord.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.2
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:09 am

2nd attempt: I entered notes for an E major chord and then with the Chord tool I entered an F chord symbol and fretboard. Then I used the Utilities/ Add-Remove Capo Chords to change it to an E chord - capo 1st fret - with the text. I used the roman numeral IV for fret/position. I think that's the right notation for that from what I remember of my old Mel Bay and Frederick Noad classical guitar books :)
Attachments
F guitar capo Finale.jpg
F guitar capo Finale.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

ry1633

Post by ry1633 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:58 pm

I just realized I had a error with the fret I corrected it. Is it still standard to use Roman numerals for the fret/position? Or should I be using regular Arabic numerals? Going back to my classical guitar days, I remember the books I had used Roman numerals for the fret/position
Attachments
F guitar capo Finale rev1.jpg
F guitar capo Finale rev1.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 1329 times