printing issues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

KSigsworth65+
Finale Version: v25
Operating System: Windows

Post by KSigsworth65+ » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Finale V25
Windows 10

Ever since switching to Finale v25, I have occasional printing issues.
I usually work in page view mode which is also supposed to be print preview; meaning, what shows on the screen is what will print. That's not the case for me on more than one occasion. Many times I will extract or copy a portion of a score and save it to a new file and update the layout to reduce pages for the individual instruments. When doing this the screen shows a 2 page document for that instrument, but when I try to print it, the print dialogue shows the number of pages to be 6, which is the number of pages of the original score. If I print it, it will spread out the document over the 6 pages; 3 measures to a system, which is completely unnecessary. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
2017-12-28resized.png
Screenshot of the print dialogue box
2017-12-28resized.png (192.15 KiB) Viewed 5019 times

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:04 am

Just a guess - lock the layout before printing the part (Utilities Menu).

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

KSigsworth65+

Post by KSigsworth65+ » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:36 am

I tried "lock systems" under the utilities tab if that's what you were suggesting. It didn't change anything in the print dialogue box.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 am

Hard to tell without seeing the document.
Make sure the paper size of your printer and the page size of your Parts match.
Make sure there aren't any other Parts that might not be the ones you're working on.

If you Extract a Part, then that becomes a "Score" in the new document. (It's better to use Linked Parts within the same document, if possible.)
KSigsworth65+ wrote:I usually work in page view mode which is also supposed to be print preview; meaning, what shows on the screen is what will print.
Mmmmmmmmmm. I wouldn't call Page View a "Print Preview": there are things that appear on the screen that don't print. Finale used to include a "PostScript Preview", which was a true Print Preview, though it's been removed in the latest version. Some argue it is still needed.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 pm

I have suggested a true Print Preview as a new feature. So far it falls on deaf ears. :?
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:17 pm

I will extract or copy a portion of a score ...
Do you update the extracted part before you print it? I think you will need to make it 'pretty' after extraction. Then it should print as it should since it is a brand new file with no connection to the original. I never use extract parts since linked parts was added.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 pm

The page count shown in the print dialog doesn't reflect the number of pages in the part select; in most cases, it will be the number of pages in the score, I guess.

I don't really understand what you're doing, but "and update the layout" raises a red flag for me. If you've turned Automatic Update Layout off, that may be a source of confusion.

KSigsworth65+

Post by KSigsworth65+ » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 am

Just to give this issue resolution. I had submitted a technical support ticket on it to Make Music.

Kevin in customer service was very helpful in identifying that I had a corrupted file somehow.
Here is the fix he suggested. It worked perfectly.

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you for that file. There was definitely some unusual corruption with this file. To fix it I exported and imported it as a MusicXML. To do this please follow these steps:

*Note: this process will not alter, erase, or otherwise affect the current version of your document; this will create a new instance of the document

Open your document in Finale
Choose File > Export > MusicXML
Save your document as an XML file to your desktop
Choose File > Close
Choose File > Import > MusicXML. Select the file you just saved to the desktop and click Open
Choose File > Save As to save the new document as a Finale file and give it a new filename
Once the new Finale file has been saved, you can delete the XML file from your desktop

In the newly created Finale document, you may need to make some changes and remake some edits. Two of these things you normally have to do are:
Regenerate Parts: if no parts are created choose Document > Manage Parts | in the dialog box that appears, click Generate Parts
Reassign Playback Sounds: choose MIDI/Audio > Reassign Playback Sounds

I just wanted to post the fix incase someone else experiences something similar.
Thank you all for your replies.