Score manager woes

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Ever since the score manager was introduced, I’ve found it to be wonky. For me, it changes devices, sounds, programs, banks, and channels unexpectedly. When I load instruments into the Aria player, I always have to check the score manager to make sure it lists what I’ve set up in the Aria player. Most often, it’s a juggling act to get the two areas to match, and therefore, play back a piece correctly.

I’m wondering if I missed something along the way, and if I’m having trouble because there are instructions that I’m not following. I’ve seen a wealth of information on the Aria player alone and on the score manager alone, and what their components do. But I’ve seen nothing on how to coordinate the use of both. Is there a definitive tutorial on how to work with score manager and the Aria player? Is it the correct way to populate Aria instances with instruments first, or should this be done in score manager first?

Thanks.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

I always use the Score Manager to add Inst or assign them.
Not the Aria Player itself.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks, oldmkvi. I'll work this way consistently and see how it goes.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

blueshift
Finale Version: 27.2

Post by blueshift » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 am

I play through AU (or VST) and put Aria instances in the Banks and Effects as needed. Then I assign voices from the available libraries (I use GPO5, GCPO, and some sfz files).

Score manager lets me directly edit the Aria instances once they are first assigned to a staff, which is very useful. For example, I can assign Trumpet Player 1 to layer 1 & 3, Trumpet Player 2 to layer 2, and Trumpet Overlay to Layer 4 from score manager. In my own practice - music for pipe organ - I assign pedal stops to layer four of the bass clef, rather than adding a separate pedal staff. And that's just the beginning of some complex audio output I can create using AU (or VST) together with Score Manager - I couldn't be happier with the results I get.
Finale 27.4.1 (since 2.6.3)
MacOS 14 Sonoma
MacMini i7x6 64gb RAM
GPO5 / GCPO / EW Symphonic Choirs / KONTAKT / stray sfz
Cubase / Studio One