fingering

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 10, 2018 4:47 am

Komponist wrote:… I've been trying to figure out how to keep all the treble clef fingering above the staff and all the bass clef fingering below the staff …
Are you using the Articulation Tool or the Expression Tool?

Anyway, I would use two sets of fingerings: one set to position above the staff, and another set to position below the staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu May 10, 2018 6:42 am

The come-with-Finale fingering articulations are above the note. It helps to edit each of them and check "Always place outside staff." Like Peter says, you can duplicate these and create a parallel set for below the note.

This of course doesn't address stacks of two or more fingerings, very common, which you'd have to drag up manually. Surely someone has solved this satisfactorily by now, and perhaps will comment here.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu May 10, 2018 3:17 pm

motet wrote:… This of course doesn't address stacks of two or more fingerings, very common, which you'd have to drag up manually. Surely someone has solved this satisfactorily by now, and perhaps will comment here.
You can use the Shape Designer to create shapes with all the stacks of two or more fingerings (they are not that many).

Then you can use the “stack shapes” as shape articulations, or as shape expressions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 10, 2018 3:43 pm

I wonder if there is a font of the stacked numbers.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu May 10, 2018 4:05 pm

motet wrote:I wonder if there is a font of the stacked numbers.
http://ansgarkrause.com/fonts/Piano_Fingering.html

Ansgar Krause has been a member of the old Make Music Forum and possibly this here forum, too. His font also seems to solve the requirement of above and below staff placement.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu May 10, 2018 5:37 pm

In my experience, positioning piano fingering is too complex a task to be automated because of various spacing issues, and I insert each one manually using hotkeys. Gould's "rule" is only a generalization, as she implies, and in practice, fingering symbols can be found practically anywhere in relation to the staves. And I find stacking three or four finger numbers a non-issue because it is needed so rarely.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 10, 2018 6:02 pm

But if two more more numbers are stacked, they're always in the same position relative to one another, even if their distance from the note is variable, no?

Komponist
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Komponist » Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions and links. They have been very helpful. Because I am writing and publishing music for beginning piano students, I need to use more fingering than I would otherwise use, including three- and four-note combinations. I've been using the articulation tool and hot keys to put my fingering in, but I like all your suggestions. I'll try setting up both treble and bass staff versions of fingering and creating fingering combinations as shapes first. I'm very interesting in the new fingering font mentioned in the link, but I'd like to try making the software that I've already bought work for me in this. If I do end of buying the new font, I'll post my thoughts about here so that others can consider that solution for themselves.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu May 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Speaking as a person with a shop full of tools, I would say never waste time trying to achieve a good result with a less than good tool. Yes, Finale can do a lot of things, but if, for a few dollars, you can get something that will probably do it better, don’t hesitate.

JMNSHO
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Fri May 11, 2018 2:49 pm

motet wrote:But if two more more numbers are stacked, they're always in the same position relative to one another, even if their distance from the note is variable, no?
Sometimes stacked numbers represent alternative fingerings with or without lines between, sometimes one is regular type and one is italicized, sometimes slurs have to run between the stacked numbers, sometimes some are in the staff and have to be carefully coordinated with the staff lines etc. GIven the many situations that arise, and the fact that there are too many combinations for keyboard shortcuts, I find it much easier to insert them all manually. And I only use two or more when absolutely necessary, since one is usually sufficient.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."