Anchor the page

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Wed May 23, 2018 5:54 pm

I just got a new High Sierra and Finale 25 and although I'm getting used to it, the biggest problem right now is the slightest movement of the mouse causes the page to shoot all over the place so I can't stay in the area I'm trying to work on. For instance, if I try to change the size of a note head, it just won't stay still long enough for me to click on it. I tried slowing the tracking speed of the mouse but then it's really lethargic and takes me forever just to get to the place I'm trying to fix.
Capricorn

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed May 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Is it a third-party mouse? Is this in Scroll View, or Page View, or both? Do any other apps behave similarly?

Note that Tracking speed and Scrolling speed are two different things. For some reason, Apple keeps the second one in the Accessibility System Preference pane.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Wed May 23, 2018 6:35 pm

It's only on Finale that it bothers me because it's so exacting, where you put things. I went to accessibility in the preferences and made the spring loaded delay long. I'm hoping that will make it a little less sensitive (reminds me of when they made the brakes and steering in a car power.) I wasn't sure what "with inertia" and "without inertia" did but I can experiment.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed May 23, 2018 6:47 pm

If you find you're getting nowhere with the mouse settings, I'd suggest checking the Finale preferences. Here's how:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Wed May 23, 2018 6:56 pm

I went to that page and chickened out. I'm afraid I'll make a mess of the whole thing and it will take a day to get back to where I was although I'm going to save that URL and maybe try again if resetting the mouse doesn't work. Finale doesn't crash, it just skitters all over the place. Maybe it's me skittering.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 pm

I think changing the spring loaded delay and unchecking scrolling (with or without inertia) worked. One more thing figured out. But I will keep the URL you mentioned just in case. Thanks!

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 am

Capricorn wrote:It's only on Finale that it bothers me because it's so exacting, where you put things. I went to accessibility in the preferences and made the spring loaded delay long.
Firstly, I'm not sure that the Spring-loaded delay would affect anything in Finale. That relates to Finder windows opening when you hold a dragged item over them. FWIW, my delay is in the middle.

Also, whilst there is much that needs doing with the mouse in Finale, do remember that note entry isn't one of them. Use the computer keyboard shortcuts in Simple or Speedy Entry, rather than clicking notes into place.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu May 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Good to know about spring loaded. Regarding note entry, that's not a problem because I use a midi keyboard and the keyboard to enter notes. It's when I try to make corrections, like change the notehead percent or get to a particular measure in the score, that it skitters all over the place. I'll be trying to get to measure 50, for instance, and just as I try to make the correction, the score page shoots over around ten measures and I have to bring it back. I finally gave up making the corrections on a large score I was working on and went downstairs where my husband has my old computer, still with Finale 2009 on it, and made the corrections (the piece I was working on was in Finale 2009). Hopefully, I'll get used to Finale 25 and the new computer eventually or else I'll trade computers with my husband!

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Thu May 24, 2018 12:58 pm

Are you using an Apple Magic Mouse? I had the same problem with a new 2017 iMac, and I could not get the Magic Mouse to behave correctly. I scrapped it and am now back to my old Logitech M310. No more pages jumping around!
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu May 24, 2018 1:16 pm

Yes, that's exactly what I'm using. I just hooked up an old mouse to the computer and it works fine. I think this is the answer! Thanks!!

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu May 24, 2018 1:39 pm

I just discovered I can also hook up my full sized keyboard as well so now I can use the keys I'm used to on the right, missing from the miniature keyboard I got with High Sierra. I'm so very relieved. Thanks for the help and suggestions! I don't think I would have thought of all this otherwise.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu May 24, 2018 2:29 pm

Capricorn wrote:Hopefully, I'll get used to Finale 25 and the new computer eventually or else I'll trade computers with my husband!
For the record, the behaviour you cite isn't the usual behaviour for Finale 25, so something else must be a factor.

In terms of recommendation, I've been using Apple's Magic TrackPad for many years, and would never go back to a mouse!

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Thu May 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Why do you want to change the size of individual notes as you go?
That can be changed later after the piece is finished.
Note Size, Page Size can adjusted Globally.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu May 24, 2018 4:44 pm

I was trying to change the notes after the score was finished because the publisher wanted me to put in some ossia notes for parts that were too high for student players. Every time I would get the cursor over the note, the page would suddenly skitter away so I finally went back to the old computer and did it easily. Also, the new keyboard doesn't have the section on the right where I used to be able to enter notes very quickly with my right hand as I used the midi keyboard with the left. I suppose I could get used to it with the mini keyboard, but the big one was so much easier. I expect after time, I'll be able to figure this new computer out and the magic mouse, but I was working under a deadline. Bad time to get a new computer and program.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm

I have an intermittent problem on F25.5/Mac,
the page in scroll view skips away from the Mouse Cursor
sometimes by a large number of Bars.
Wired or Wireless Mac Mouse, Settings, made no difference.
It's annoying, sometimes Very! And not everyone experiences it.
Maybe it's an Apple Thing, I'm on Sierra.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu May 24, 2018 5:36 pm

If you think it's a problem with the Apple mouse, try a different make to see if the problem persists. Any old mouse that's lying around collecting dust. Everyone has one, don't they? I've been using Logitech mouses for the past 20 years and swear by them.

So far as the mini keyboard, I'd buy a full Apple keyboard to restore your working environment. It's worth the $50, in my opinion. The mini keyboard is for hipsters sitting around in their underwear playing with Facebook, not for those involved in professional publishing.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu May 24, 2018 6:59 pm

Capricorn wrote:Every time I would get the cursor over the note, the page would suddenly skitter away
Is this when the cursor is near the edge of the window? It sounds like moving the mouse pointer near the edge of the window might initiate scrolling.

I don't think you've said whether this is Page View or Scroll View. There are known problems with scrolling in Scroll View being too wild and unpredictable -- but that's when trying to scroll. You seem to describe something different: scrolling starting just when you're doing something else.

Also, does this happen in other apps? There are reports on Mac forums of this behaviour with the Magic Mouse, outside of Finale.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu May 24, 2018 7:11 pm

The skittering seemed to be all the time. I was under a lot of pressure to get the project done which is why I resorted to the old Finale 2009. I would have stayed with that set up forever except I had to upgrade my computer after 10 years. Maybe I'll make it a designated computer and keep working with 2009! In any case, using an old USB mouse and an old USB keyboard (with all the extra keys) seems to have solved the problem for now and I can still switch to the Magic Mouse and little keyboard since it's blue tooth for other things. I went to the Mac forum but didn't really get any help there. I'll ask my son-in-law to help me out next time they come over for dinner. He seems to know everything about computers!

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Thu May 24, 2018 7:12 pm

oldmkvi wrote:I have an intermittent problem on F25.5/Mac,
the page in scroll view skips away from the Mouse Cursor
sometimes by a large number of Bars.
Wired or Wireless Mac Mouse, Settings, made no difference.
It's annoying, sometimes Very! And not everyone experiences it.
Maybe it's an Apple Thing, I'm on Sierra.
This may be an old issue. Sometimes, other devices can pair with your Mac. This isn't the issue it used to be with OS 10.7 but it can still happen. I went nuts figuring it out when it happened to my wife's iMac. Worse, she was on a wired mouse and it was my daughter's Magic Mouse that would take over intermittently. The fourth AppleCare tech I talked to in as many days was the one who finally asked, "Is Bluetooth on?" Oh...

Check your bluetooth settings. Un-pair everything. Reboot. Now pair only the devices you use. See if you still have a problem.

You can customize the sensitivity of a wireless or BT mouse in System Preferences to varying degrees of success.

Personally, I can't stand the Magic Mouse but my daughters won't use anything else. The Magic Trackpad II rules, IMO.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro