Page numbers in parts with blank pages

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

daveclilverd
Finale Version: Finale V26
Operating System: Windows

Post by daveclilverd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 am

Hi Guys,
I'm having a very frustrating morning and am hoping someone may be able to help me (again!)...

I have a piece which requires blank pages at the start (i.e. the first page) of some of the parts - but not all of them - to make sure page turns are convenient. There are no blank pages in the score.

What I would really like is to be able to get Finale to ignore the blank pages when generating the page numbers in the parts (i.e. the first page with music on always stays as page 1). However, having researched that, my understanding is that it can't be done. So the next best idea seemed to be to have separate sets of page numbers for only the parts that contain the blank pages. Reading other, previous posts, it sounds as though it should be possible to unlink the original (automatic from the score) page numbers and 'unshow' them in the appropriate parts and then add a new set of page numbers in each part that needs to be altered (i.e. the ones with the blank pages).

However, no matter what I try, adding a new set of page numbers in any part seems to mess up the page numbers in the score. Either it ends up deleting most of the page numbers from the score (even though I have unlinked them) or I just end up with extra page numbers in the score (and all the other parts too).

Could anyone tell me the appropriate sequence of operations to achieve what I'm trying to do?

*** Edit - Maybe I should add, that I have used the Page Number text insert when adding the new page numbers to the selected parts. Maybe I should just add plain text instead....?

Many thanks for any help.

Dave.
Finale 2014.5 on Windows 10

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:20 pm

My suggestion is not what you're asking for, but I'll throw it out anyway. Many publishers do exactly what you're doing - adding a blank page at the beginning of a part in order to facilitate page turns. The common custom is to make this blank page a "title page" containing the instrument name, title, and composer. The title page is usually always included in the page numbering (as "Page 1"). Such a format would solve your page numbering dilemma and give your parts a "finished" look. Additionally, whether you have a blank title page or start with a page with music, the first page number "1" is usually always hidden.

Just a thought.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

daveclilverd
Finale Version: Finale V26

Post by daveclilverd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion - and indeed my 'blank pages' are title pages with the instrument name, title, composer etc., as you describe. I also recognise what you are saying about common custom - but I still prefer not to include the blank/title page in the numbering...!!! I do also hide the page number from the first page of music.

Thanks for taking the time to respond anyway.

Dave.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 pm

If you use Insert Blank Pages in the part with the Page Layout tool, it shouldn't affect the score; if you put text on the page, though, that will need to be hidden elsewhere.

I suggest starting the page numbering with page 2. Look at any professionally published music or book and you'll see that right-hand pages are always odd numbers, left-hand pages always even. To have page 1 be a left-hand page would be strange.

pco614
Finale Version: 26

Post by pco614 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Hey Dave, did this ever get resolved? This has been a sticking point for a long time, I think I've asked about this before. While I understand the point of the replies, I agree with you 100% that there are many reasons why you would just want a blank page put onto one particular part. I personally do not want the first page of music to be "page 2" (number not showing) and then the second page of music is "page 3". Also, I came on today to look this up because I want a completely blank (with no title, part name, or page number) page attached to the end of certain parts so that I can print pages 1 and 2 of the music on one side of 12X18 and print page 3 and then a title page as page 4. I can then simply fold one piece of paper and have the title page first which opens to the first and second pages of music, and then turn again to page 3, thereby saving paper. Yes, there are probably 50 "workarounds", but they are time consuming, and wouldn't it make sense to have a simple checkbox that determines if you want the page completely blank and usable for anything you wish, or whether you want it numbered?

Just curious if moderators watch and jump in on this, I will also submit as a suggestion through the site. If anyone does indeed have an extremely efficient workaround for this issue for pages at front or back of part (to create a clean title page), it would be very much appreciated as always. Thx!

P.
Finale user since 1995
Finale 26 - Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 pm

This site and its moderators are not affiliated with MakeMusic.

If you add a blank page at the beginning with the Page Layout tool, Finale will not number it, but you can adjust the page number text block to show where you want.

What you want is a "booklet", albeit only a 4-page one. As I said above, I would number the inner pages 2 and 3, not 1 and 2, to conform to the "right pages are odd" that every publisher follows. So you'd have pages 2 and 3 on one side of your double-wide paper and pages 4 and 1 on the other. I make booklets (and add page numbers) externally to Finale in a PDF program. If you have a large-format printer, chances are the print driver can make booklets. Look in the print dialog.

Finale's "2-up" printing is confusingly done. If' your pages are 9 x 12 and you're printing on 12 x 18, you have to specify the output pages 12 x 18 Portrait, even though they're landscape. It will then warn you that the input and output sizes don't match (well, duh!); ignore that and print anyway. You can print one side with page range 2,3 and the other with page range 4,1 for your "booklet."