Automatically convert ties to dots?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by GarryW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 am

That "spurious MIDI" problem of mine over in the General board this morning got resolved so excellently and quickly, I now have a second question:

Is there a strange, mysterious, wonderful way to automatically convert half notes tied to quarter notes, on the beat, of the same pitch, over to dotted halves? Wherever they are in the score? And quarter notes tied to an eighths, on the beat, of the same pitch, over to dotted quarters?

Or a way at least to partly automate that process? (I've never written a Finale Script...)

I ask because at some point all my dotted quarters and dotted halves I had had in my score magically converted themselves the other way, over to the tied form instead. I wasn't really paying attention, and I've done a lot of other work on the score since. There are probably a couple of hundred instances now that need to be fixed.

I've been experimenting with "Retranscribe" (under MIDI/Audio), but I don't have the knack of it yet. It tends to produce "meltdown" results (i.e., gibberish.) I do not actually have any underlying MIDI data... but it seemed like a place to start.

Thanks.
Garry

PS - I'm running Finale 2014.5 on a 32bit PC.

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26

Post by GarryW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Apparently "MIDI/Retranscribe" is the way to do it. It just did not work. Generated big baskets of 1/256th notes, and other unpleasant things. Don't know why - no actual MIDI data has ever even touched this score...

So I just went through and fixed all the "ties-to-dots" by hand. Oh well.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 pm

It's always wise to test options. Without seeing your file, it's hard to know what to suggest, or what might work. One options is to export the measure to MIDI Clipboard, then import back in. That might yield the same results as retranscribe, but something to test. Retranscribe gets rid of articulations. You can copy your measure first and then, with the edit filter set to only articulations, paste back the original measure, reinstating the articulations, but keeping the dotted rhythm.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."