Finale not triggering keyswitches in Vienna Ensemble

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

el-Odysseas
Finale Version: Finalle 26.2.2.494
Operating System: Windows

Post by el-Odysseas » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:52 am

Hallo everybody,

I am using Finale 2014.5. I own a PC (Windows 10, 64bit)

I already loaded the Vienna Symphonic Library (VSL) as a VST in Finale.
In the Vienna Ensemble Service I inserted an Instrument (Violin Solo, from "Vienna Instruments SE") and created a matrix with 2 patches.

The problem now, is that I cannot get Finale to trigger the keyswitches and to change between these two patches/articulations.

The 2 articulations I am using during this test in Finale are: "legato" (created with the smart shape tool) and "staccato" (created with the articulation tool)
They should trigger a "pLeg patch" (performance legato) and a "staccato patch" of the Violin solo, in Vienna Instruments.
The keyswitches are placed in C0 and C#0 of the keyboard (which should be Keyswitch numbers 12 and 13 in Finale).

Could you please check my edits in Human Playback (pic #1), the created Matrix, with the 2 articulations (perfLegato and staccato patch) in Vienna Ensemble (pic #2) and the score in Finale, with just quarter notes changing between legato and staccato (pic #3)?

Do you find any mistakes?

By the way: I tried both 32- and 64bit Vienna Ensemble 6 Versions, but without any difference.

I should still add, that If I insert the the keyswitch-notes n the score (if I manualy insert for example a C0-quarter, or a C#0-quarter note in the score) this seems to trigger the keyswitches in Vienna Instruments.

Thanks in advance for your help
el-Odysseas
Finalle 26.2.2.494
PC, Windows 10, 64 Bit
Yamaha MOX 8

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by Bill Reed » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Why not use the HP Preferences provided by VSL? They're setup to use the existing matrices.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

el-Odysseas
Finale Version: Finalle 26.2.2.494

Post by el-Odysseas » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Hallo Bill and thanks for the response!

I firstly tried by using the HP Preferences provided by VSL, but without any luck.

I could find a solution to my problem by loading into my Finale project the library: "Keyswitch Dump for all VSL libraries". , also provided by VSL.
This Finale Library file includes Text expressions for sending MIDI keyswitches and MIDI Control Changes in order to change articulations in the Vienna Instruments player. It can be used with any of the Vienna Symphonic Library instrument collections and does not depend on the Finale Human Playback system.
Although this resolved the issue of changing articulations in the Vienna instruments player, I still do not know, why HP Preferences did not do the job.

Greetings
el-Odysseas
Finalle 26.2.2.494
PC, Windows 10, 64 Bit
Yamaha MOX 8

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:33 am

I couldn't get it to work either by creating a custom HP legato technique and inserting a "legato" text expression. If I changed the custom technique to "pizz." and inserted a "pizz." text expression it did work and triggered whatever keyswitch I entered in the custom HP technique. I'm not an authority so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a Finale program problem.

I'm only a hobbyist and don't have to print music, so I've found it easier to use the VSL keyswitch dump libraries to change the VSL X axis. I use Continuous Controller 16 to change the Y Axis. To move among matrices loaded on the same channel I use a program change. Sorry I can't be of any help.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5