Need to do a hard reset on Finale on Windows...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by GarryW » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 am

Hi --

I have Finale 2014.5, running on Windows 7, 32-bit. As of today, I can no longer change the attachment point for Expressions, no matter how "hard" I drag them.

--- I tested expression dragging in a brand-new default document; no dice, no improvement.

--- I tried letting the program re-create the Windows C:/Users/.../AppData/Roaming/MakeMusic/Finale 2014.5/FINALE.INI file, per Makemusic's "reset" advice; that doesn't help.

--- I tried renaming away the Windows registry entry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER...Software/Makemusic/Finale 2014.5", and letting Finale re-create it. Nope, no fix there.

But when I tried logging in as a different user on my PC, Expression dragging worked just fine.

Any idea where else I might go in order to properly clobber Finale's login-specific setup information?

thanks,
Garry

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have a conflict with some software. I would selectively quit one application you have open and see if that helps. If not, move to the next open application, and so on/so forth. Check those applications that run in the background like mouse software.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:43 pm

You've listed many steps you've tried except rebooting. Did you do that?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26

Post by GarryW » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Zuill --

Rebooting did the trick. Didn't think of that. After 26 years' experience with Windows, I have no idea how rebooting could have done the trick in this situation -- there were no processes left running having to do with Finale, much less expression-handling in Finale! -- but rebooting worked.

Thanks!

Garry

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Nick Mazuk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:50 am

Sometimes there's a process that continues to run either because the system forgot to stop it or it's buggy. Furthermore, after using your computer for a while, these things can start to add up. Rebooting will clear all these hanging processes.

Also, some software just needs a reboot to install completely.

That's why the number one tech advice is to try "turning it off then turning it back on again".

(with that said, I forget to reboot quite often as well)
Nick