lyrics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ubarb
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by ubarb » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:47 am

Finale version 25.3.0.276
Mac Mojave

I messed up the lyrics in a piece that has to be finished by Sat., Jan. 5. Panic!

The main thing I need to do is to delete some lyrics that need to be replaced. I know someone who can help with the replacement.

I thought I entered them in layer 2, but clicking on them in either layer 2 or layer 1 has no effect at all. I have some extension lines that go to the wrong words, and also go through some of the lyrics.

I tried deleting the offending lyrics in the lyrics window, but that did not remove them from my score.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:46 am

ubarb wrote:… I thought I entered them in layer 2, but clicking on them in either layer 2 or layer 1 has no effect at all. I have some extension lines that go to the wrong words, and also go through some of the lyrics …
Try this:
Selection Tool.
Double-click on the pesky lyric.
Finale will take you to the correct layer/tool, with the lyric selected.

This “Selection Tool trick” is the general solution for selecting an item (articulation, expression, text block, chord symbol, &c.),
no matter in what tool the item was created.

ubarb wrote:… I tried deleting the offending lyrics in the lyrics window, but that did not remove them from my score.
Perhaps you - in the window Lyrics - need to switch to another Verse?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ubarb

Post by ubarb » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:48 pm

If I knew how, I'd attach the offending 2 pages.

I do have a PDF of the corrected score without the problem lyrics, but I don't know if that can be entered into Finale and edited.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:45 pm

After you tap the Post Reply button, scroll down, and look below that window. You will see a tab for Upload Attachments.

A PDF won’t help us. We need to see the actual Finale file.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ubarb

Post by ubarb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 am

Thank you very much for your help, and happy new year.
I'm following your suggestions and making some progress. I hope I attached the file correctly.

One problem is those red lines -- the word extensions. I had to delete all the words to get rid of some, and others just stayed there.

What I'm trying to do is have everyone sing "Oh, spirit of life ________" at the start. The sopranos and tenors hold "life" while the altos and basses sing "spirit of life" again. In m. 9, it's similar but "love" replaces "life."

I was told that the alto and bass parts can be treated as a 2nd verse by clicking on a note? word? and then the down arrow to put the lyrics where a 2nd verse would be. But because of those pesky extensions, and a few floating words, I haven't been able to achieve that.

I could also send a version I created for the rehearsal pianist which is correct so you'll know what I'm trying to do in the imploded version.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Ubarb,

Did you sort out your lyrics problems or do you still need help?

Bill Stevens
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Ubarb,
The problem is that you haven't attached the lyric verse to the correct layer. This is a very common situation in barbershop music. Here is a link to a short video I did, that may be helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t86t7xfkej82p ... y.mov?dl=0

I'll do a quick and dirty fix on this piece, not following my own rules. I'm happy to talk you through it, when you have time.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society