Any wood slap sound (or close)?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ocdrums12
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by ocdrums12 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm working on a piece in Finale 2014.5 that uses wood slap in percussion. I don't see that sound in any percussion maps (I have only what came with Finale, including Garritan and a downloaded Aria player). Has anyone tried to mimic the sound, and with what instrument(s)?

Thanks!

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Are you looking for a clapper such as used in film or the kind that churches used in place of bells on Good Friday (former altar boy here), a slapstick or?

Probably best to look for a Sound Font. Many are free; others are inexpensive. Low cost and free SF players are easy to find. You load the player in the same way you load Aria, the player you use for Garrittan Instruments for Finale.

When I Googled clapper and sound font, it led me to this:
https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/pro ... struments/

Alternately, if you have access to the sound or instrument you want, you can load it into a sampler and create your own library.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

ocdrums12
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by ocdrums12 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Is there any way for me to find a clip of a slapstick sound, and then download it into Finale to use as an instrument? I see that I can use it as an audio file, placing the sound in different parts of the score, but the slapstick in the piece of music is played quite a bit. Does that make sense what I'm asking? Since the Whip sound in my Finale doesn't seem to work, I would think one could simply put a sound they found online that sounds close to a whip/slapstick in.