Finale 26 issues?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Does anyone see little issues with there Finale 26? I think it may be due to Finale 26 not reading the ini file for some reason. For instance I never use chord playback but the last time I started Finale chord playback was checked. Sometime the screen BG is not correct. And I am getting a lot of "Finale is not responding" issues but it recovers and all is well. Just some sample things there are others. It has crashed three or four times since I installed it. Not to mention the printing problem.

I am pretty satisfied it is a 26 problem because Finale 25.5 and 2014 work as usual. No problems. I know previous versions are not supposed to interfere with each other but I am beginning to think that is not true. Contacting MM is useless. It isn't the old MM anymore.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:58 am

Have you tried checking out the preferences (ini file)? Here's how to do it without trashing them if they happen to be OK:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Yeah you know I've done all that. When the screen isn't displayed, for instance, as the chosen color the ini is back to default. I never changed it or any of the things like enable chord playback or whatever. I have no reason to do that.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:02 pm

The only issue I occasionally run into is during playback - it seems to occur if I click the "stop playback" button almost immediately after clicking "play." At that point Finale will lock up, and none of the tools will work although I can save the file and close Finale. I'm not sure the exact sequence of events, perhaps also clicking a tool after stopping playback, since sometimes when this happens the speedy entry editing frame will be open and cannot be closed. I might try resetting preferences as was suggested.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Do you get the "Finale is not responding" notice? If you do you might want to wait it out a bit. SO far mine has always recovered after a while when it says that.
Keep in mind that Finale 2014.5 and Finale 25 works as they always have. The issues is just with 26. Finale 25 even prints like it is supposed to. :?

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 pm

I've got one problem since I put FInale 26 on two different computers. When using Simple Entry and changing a note (like to a rest or rest to a note or moving a note up or down using the arrow keys...) the "old" position continues to display (including flags and the like.) Using <CTRL>E twice removes the problem as does <CTRL>D to redraw the screen. It's annoying in that I cannot see changes in chords without following each mouse click with <CTRL>D.

It took a while to verify what was happening. I checked that Page VIew and Studio View do not have the problem. It is inconsistent in that it doesn't happen all the time. I'm not sure that it happens with all instruments; I do know it happens with the Steinway B from Garrian 5. I do not remember this happening with other versions of Finale.

I did wonder if anyone else has seen this behavior. I couldn't find anything on the Make Music help pages.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 am

I couldn't find anything on the Make Music help pages.
I am afraid MM isn't, or going to be, very helpful. It makes me wonder if they are truly into Finale?

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by dankreider » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
I couldn't find anything on the Make Music help pages.
I am afraid MM isn't, or going to be, very helpful. It makes me wonder if they are truly into Finale?
I think we all know the answer to that.
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us