Font question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:40 am

Hi all,

I have the various Finale fonts installed on my computer, however when I try to use them in my layout program of choice (Scribus), they don't appear as available fonts and those that do appear in the font list fail to embed in my output.

The fonts that do work in Scribus appear to be TTF fonts. Is there a TTF font that has a crotchet in it that I can get from somewhere?

Thanks and cheers,
Hector.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Hector Pascal wrote:I have the various Finale fonts installed on my computer, however when I try to use them in my layout program of choice (Scribus), they don't appear as available fonts and those that do appear in the font list fail to embed in my output.
If you install both Postscript and True Type fonts when running the Finale installer, don't forget to deactivate one or the other for the Finale Fonts (use the Apple Font Book). Having duplicates active causes problems.

Have you tried Maestro Times? It is compatible with typesetting programs by not having those strange baselines. It's got many musical symbols–notes, beams, accidentals, etc.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Hector,

On the Mac, if you go to Character Viewer (for me, American flag in the upper right corner of the screen) and select Show Emoji and Symbols, Musical Symbols at the bottom of the list should provide what you need.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 am

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions. The MaestroTimes font has done the trick! I was not familiar with this font until now. It is proving to be very useful!
Cheers and thanks again,
Hector.