Experiences with Scanscore Anyone?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

pianowillbebach
Operating System: Windows

Post by pianowillbebach » Mon May 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Does anyone know about ScanScore? Is it worth the money? I just received a $20 voucher for it, but I don't know if it's a good deal. The product demo looks nice and it seems to do the job. But in the demo you can't export, so I don't know if it would work with Finale. https://scan-score.com/en/

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon May 13, 2019 5:23 pm

There are a number of similar apps, and they all share the same faults. They are, in effect, black boxes: you stick a scan in one end, and an XML comes out the other. I have scanned hundreds of pages of music, and never has one been perfect. These errors are incorporated into the XML, and the resulting Finale file can messed up in many ways. Hence, “scanning is no good.”

On the other hand, a full program like SmartScore gives you the opportunity to correct the scan recognition errors before you generate the XML. The downsides are cost, and the need to learn a new, fairly complex program. Once past those hurdles, though, scanning can save lots of time.

But, try ScanScore, and see what it does for you. Maybe you will be satisfied.

Keep in mind, though, that none of these programs work on handwritten scores!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm

My experience with scanning music is if you have a good looking original you will get a good looking scan. On the other hand if you have a crappy, torn, yellowing original, you will get a crappy scan. GIGO rules! Sometimes it is easier to just input the notes yourself. Now would I buy a music scanning software package, absolutely. I have Smartscore X2 Pro.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

pianowillbebach

Post by pianowillbebach » Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for the comments! I tried out scanscore (super happy to have that voucher). It's definitely great to have the ability to edit the scan before exporting.

mattycohen

Post by mattycohen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Where did you get the voucher? And did you try with a handwritten score?

miker

Post by miker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Matty,
Handwritten scores won’t work. Period.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I sprung for the full version of SmartScore and so far am not very impressed. I scanned some clean (computer-set, I think) music and it made a lot of mistakes. Perhaps there are settings I'm missing. The dumbest thing it does is misinterpret the number of beats in a measure or doesn't see a barline, and decides that what's really 4/4 must be 15/16 or 8/4 set to display as 4/4, that sort of thing.

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:30 am

Yes, but those things are really easy to correct. It’s a matter of learning what to look for. It’s not misinterpreting the time signatures as long as you’re still in SmartScore; it’s missing a dot, or it dropped a note, or something similar. That’s why you have the full version. Make the corrections, and it will export properly.

I sent you a PM.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

pianowillbebach

Post by pianowillbebach » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 pm

miker wrote:Matty,
Handwritten scores won’t work. Period.
Can confirm: handwritten scores don't work (or with any other music scanning software. Just too many inconsistencies with handwritten for technology to be able to pick up.)

pianowillbebach

Post by pianowillbebach » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm

This company also has a BIAB alternative, Bandora. Anyone heard of that one? https://bandora.com/en/