MIDI Input Only Uses Sound from One Instrument

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jwbaummusic
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by jwbaummusic » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Hey, have been lurking on the forums for years, but this is the first time I couldn't find an answer to a question, so first post!

Problem: When using Speedy Entry with a MIDI keyboard, it now only uses the same instrument sound for every part.
Example: Writing a chart for two trumpets, tenor sax, tenor trombone, bass, keys, but, despite all the sounds being set correctly in ScoreManager, every part uses the sound+range assigned to 1st Trumpet for Speedy Entry (so with the standard Garritan trumpet sound, anything below E on the middle of bass clef doesn't sound). Playback and Simple Entry correctly use the assigned instrument sounds, so only when using a MIDI controller for input in Speedy Entry does it incorrectly use the same instrument sound+range for every instrument.

I played around with a lot of the settings trying to figure it out: went through just about every option in the MIDI/Audio menu and everything looked right, Reassigned Playback, Reloaded MIDI Driver, tried files for other pieces, created a new file, restarted my computer multiple times, disconnected and reconnected the MIDI controller before/after restarts, but no change. My current workaround is just using a piano sound as the 1st trumpet sound so I have sound throughout the full range on each instrument, but not ideal...

Using Finale 25.5.0.290 and Windows 10, with an M-Audio KeyStudio MIDI controller. Until yesterday, it has worked fine for years on a Mac, and since I switched over to Windows in January. Only guess I have for why it suddenly changed is I was trying to use an alternate MIDI controller (a microKorg synth/vocoder) a couple days ago, which wasn't working correctly with anything on my computer (might be a cable issue - but probably unrelated topic), so maybe something got messed up from that.

It's not the end of the world if I have to live with this, but fixing this would be nice. Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks,
John Baumgartner
Finale 25 on Windows 10
Twin Cities-based Trombonist, Composer/Arranger, and Educator

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm

jwbaummusic
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290

Post by jwbaummusic » Thu May 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Thank you so much! I must have skipped over that because the box was checked... :roll:
Finale 25 on Windows 10
Twin Cities-based Trombonist, Composer/Arranger, and Educator