Duplicate rehearsal marks won't delete

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hoti
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hoti » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 am

I had extracted a part from a score, and on the part I added a second staff. I copied another part into this second staff, which also imported duplicate rehearsal marks. But when I try to delete one of the pair, I can't select one or the other independently--they seem to be linked forever. Any thoughts, anyone? Otherwise I'll be deleting all of the rehearsal marks in this part and re-enter them (arrrgh!).

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 am

We might need to see the file. Otherwise, we would be guessing as to the cause.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 am

Is it a separate mark or a reapplication of the same mark? Look in the Rehearsal Marks category. If the former, try deleting the definition of the mark itself.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:17 am

Now that I look more closely, I am guessing that, because the OP is new to the forum, and has only made one post, he (she) might be blocked from posting an attachment. I guess we'll have to wait until the waiting period is over, whatever that period of time may be.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

RMK
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by RMK » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm

I sometimes have this problem. You can hide one of the rehearsal marks, but I find it better to delete and re-enter them.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Hoti wrote:I had extracted a part from a score, and on the part I added a second staff. I copied another part into this second staff, which also imported duplicate rehearsal marks.
When you copy the part in to the second staff, make sure you don't copy in the rehearsal marks category on the Edit Filter. You don't need them because they're already there, on the first staff.

This is a known bug which is a bit uncommon but has been reported every so often. I've had it happen to me a handful of times. There seems to be one specific trigger - working with older Finale files during the process of copying material in. You'll see these linked expressions like those you report, or phantom expressions which suddenly appear where they are not present in the source file. Make Music says the problem is due to "obsolete information" copied over from an older file.

Try the above suggestion for copying all but the rehearsal marks. As a last ditch effort, you might have to delete the bad expressions and re-enter them.

N.
Filter.png
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Hoti
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Hoti » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Turns out that replacing the rehearsal letters manually wasn't such a big deal. My reticence came from the earlier years of Finale (I started with version 1.0) when sometimes I'd place the letters in the wrong place, and boy did I hear about that! The improvements in recent versions, especially the dotted lines showing where items are connected in the score, is giving me my confidence back. I hadn't explored the filter menu either. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Kingferck
Finale Version: Finale 2018

Post by Kingferck » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi.

I also have the same problem. If I delete the rehearsal mark I want to delete, the right one also disappears. If I delete both and re-enter, they both show up. The one I want to delete is in the third staff in the score, but it seems to be linked to the ones at staff 1. What am I doing wrong??

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Double click on one of the rehearsal marks. In the window that appears, click "Edit Categories" at bottom left. Click "Edit" next to Score List. You might find that the third score staff has a checkmark next to it. Uncheck and the marks should not display.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3