Snare drum rolls using jazz fusion kit

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jjvibes
Finale Version: V.26
Operating System: Windows

Post by jjvibes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Hello all,
here my specs: finale version number 26. Windows 10 operating system
I am wondering if at all possible can you add a snare drum roll sound to Garrittan instruments for finale using the jazz fusion drum kit? I have tried extensively to map a snare sound in the only success I have is the carrot will show the different instruments. Such as; snare drum cross stick, snare drum, and snare drum roll. However when playing back it does not work.
I have learned about: input and outputs, MIDI percussion mapping, going to the score manager and even removing a sound in place of a snare drum roll. No matter what I do the patches stay constant. (Like out-of-the-box)
I hope I am clear and would love any verification. I have always doubled and dabbled with finale, but I'm giving it a college try to have all my works professionally done through the software. Wish me luck :-)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm

jjvibes, this is a user forum, unconnected to MakeMusic. You should go to the official forum, and post in the Garritan/Feature Request section.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... t_activity
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:28 pm

The Snare Roll is only available in the full GPO. The GIfF set doesn't have it. If you have the option checked in the Layout to only show sounds available with GIfF, Snare Roll will be in italics. That indicates its unavailability to you. Use the standard 3 slashes articulation to get a roll.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm

miker wrote:jjvibes, this is a user forum, unconnected to MakeMusic. You should go to the official forum, and post in the Garritan/Feature Request section.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... t_activity
This is not really a feature request. It's due to the ongoing confusion generated by the percussion map/layout system used by Finale that has led many to wonder what's going on. I don't think MakeMusic will add the Snare Roll to GIfF. Instead, they will tell a user to shell out the big bucks and buy GPO.

Zuill

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I thought the new paradigm for percussion eliminated those old problems. Not so?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:44 pm

It actually created a whole new set of problems, not the least of which is overwhelming confusion about how it works.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Now that I see the topic on the "other" forum, I realize we are talking about JABB 3, not GIfF. I looked at the JABB 3 User Guide, and I don't see any Snare Rolls there. I do see KS Snare Rolls with the full GPO. So, in order to get the real roll samples, one will have to buy the full GPO package. Or, just use the 3 slashes per my posted example file. Not as smooth a sound as the buzz roll available with GPO, but usable.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 am

There is a roll sample in the Basic Orchestral Percussion which is part of the GIfF. Maybe the sound is not what you want. You can mix instruments from 2 maps in a layout, but it requires each map to be in a different layer. Doing this is not for the faint of heart.

Zuill

P.S.: I tried mixing Maps in one Layout and didn't get the result I wanted. One can also make a custom Map with sounds from different sub-sets. Anyway, here's a sample file using the Basic Orchestral Percussion Map I mentioned. The roll is a KS to the roll sample, which is a buzz roll.

jjvibes
Finale Version: V.26

Post by jjvibes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 am

Hello all and thank you for your time and kindness.
I exhausted Mini efforts and time. at least I have learned Some of the aspects for finale.
Misleading yes and wish I knew how to do a custom map That wouldn't be too time intensive.
Grateful and thank you again, Jim