Latency Frustrations

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SamGroude
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by SamGroude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I am using Finale 26 with GPO5 on Mac Mohave.If I create a document with, for example, a harp part, I can play the harp sounds with my midi controller without any noticeable latency. I can also enter pitches and play them back with the scroll bar perfectly lined up with the notes as they sound. However, the more instruments I add to the score, using the score manager, the more and more latency I get. I like to be able to select an instrument with the speedy note entry tool and improvise ideas using my midi controller, but when I have more than one or two instruments in the score, the notes can sound almost 2 seconds after I play them. It soon becomes impossible for me to use the controller to play and hear my ideas. Is their a way to make the increasing latency issue go away but still be able to play the GPO5 instruments?
Many thanks for any suggestions!

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:50 pm

You don’t say what Mac you have. If a 2015 or later with a Retina or 4K display including aftermarket, you may be affected by the 10 bit Color Profile issue. Try this:

Go to System Preferences/Display/Color and choose a different display profile. If you don’t see any choices, hold down the Option key to see a list. Pretty much any profile other than the default clears up the problem by setting your system to 8 bit color. If it has no effect, you can reset to default.

I first heard about it here.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... le#p566049

If running apps that require 10 bit color accuracy, you may have change back to the default to run them.

I see no change on my system but I’m not experiencing the problem either. I have an iMac Pro with a Vega 64 GPU and that may be the reason.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

SamGroude

Post by SamGroude » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks for your help Mike. I really appreciate it. I’ll check it out, and let you know what happens.

SamGroude

Post by SamGroude » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:06 pm

An update . . I didn't have any success solving the latency issues by changing the Display Color Profile or by changing the buffering . . . but I did figure out what causes the latency to happen. If my score has only GPO5 instruments, there is NO latency. If I have only NotePerformer instruments, there is NO latency. However, if I change one of the GPO instruments to a NotePerformer instrument, I get latency when playing my midi controller with the Speedy Entry tool on one of the GPO instrument staffs, but I get NO latency when playing my midi controller with the Speedy Entry tool on the NotePerformer instrument's staff. Any idea why this happening and/or how to fix it. Many thanks!

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:35 pm

This sounds like a question for Tech Support.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Ok, that one is known. If I understand correctly, it only happens on a Mac. Compared to the constant 1 second latency issue with 25 and NotePerformer, 26 is a vast improvement.

This is the last I read about it.

https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/noteperformer-3-1/

If you’re not subscribed to Scoring Notes, I recommend it. Besides the fact that they seem to keep abreast of the latest regarding Finale, Sibelius and Dorico and related products like NotePerformer, I’ve saved a bit of money by reading about upgrades and sales that I never seem to hear about any other way. It’s free.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

SamGroude

Post by SamGroude » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:55 am

Update
From Make Music:
Latency issues using two different instrument libraries in the same document is a known bug.
Make Music’s recommendation:
To avoid latency issues at this time, don’t use two different instrument libraries in the same document.