Unmetered measure mystery

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Can anyone figure out how I did m. 10 in the attached? It's a very brief cadenza, and it looks perfect in the score, but it's a mess in the part. I thought I had done something like create a 7/4 measure that showed as 4/4, but whenever I click on the time signature tool for the measure, it shows it as being actually 4/4. I also assume that I made the notes with the expanding beams a tuplet of 18 thirty-second notes, but clicking on the first note with the tuplet tool doesn't show that there is any tuplet at all. I am mystified! (I copied this a long time ago but never made a part until now).

All I really want is, in the part, for that brief cadenza measure to show exactly as it does in the score, but the expanding-beam thing is all bunched together. I guess I can manually move each note to where it should be, unless someone has an easier way to suggest.

Thanks,

Mark

Mac 10.14.5
Finale 26

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:13 pm

It looks like you over-stuffed the measure and then played around with manual spacing. It might be better to make the measure 9/4 or whatever it needs to be but choose the option to display the key signature as 4/4 (i.e., don't display it, since it's already in 4/4). Then default spacing should work.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 pm

I don't see a part in this file. Is this the correct file?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:11 am

motet wrote:It looks like you over-stuffed the measure and then played around with manual spacing. It might be better to make the measure 9/4 or whatever it needs to be but choose the option to display the key signature as 4/4 (i.e., don't display it, since it's already in 4/4). Then default spacing should work.
Thanks, Motet! I guess I thought that's what I did many years ago when I finally copied this piece, originally done in ink. I'll give it a try.

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:18 am

zuill wrote:I don't see a part in this file. Is this the correct file?

Zuill
This is very strange. It definitely is the right file, and it has a part--or at least, the pre-uploaded version does. But when I downloaded it from my post, there is no part. I don't get it. How could that be? It's the only file on my computer with that name.

M

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 am

I'm just uploading the file again. I checked and rechecked to make sure this has a part. As of this moment, it does.