Catalina compatibility with Finale 25.5

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:47 pm

I just upgraded to Catalina and then read the articles about how Finale 25.5 doesn't work with it, but I haven't had any problems as yet. It all seems exactly the same as before. Is there something anybody knows about that will emerge in time and maybe I should go back to High Sierra before I do too much work?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Unless you have a clone or Time Machine backup of your previous system, I don't think you can roll back your OS. Downloading thru Apple does not allow this. In that case, you're probably best off upgrading to Finale 26. But, it has recently been reported that the latest Finale 26.2 has some serious problems, for which a fix is due quickly. Or, you can cross your fingers, say 3 Ave Marias and hope for the best.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I have my old system backed up on Time Machine which I disconnected before I put on Catalina, but so far I haven't had any Finale problems. I'm just worried that there's something I don't know about and suddenly all my Finale files that are new since I started Cataline will be hideously corrupted. I guess I'll give it a couple of days and say my Hail Marys.

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Just to mention in case it is needed: Someone I know took their mac into an Apple Centre a couple of weeks ago and got it rolled back from Catalina to Mojave free of charge in store.

Hector.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 pm

I just spent literally the whole day on the phone with Apple support trying to get back to my time machine from this morning before I made the fateful decision to upgrade simply because my apple bluetooth keyboard kept losing the connection and the technician said I should upgrade to fix it. After going through around 4 technical support people including two seniors, I'm hoping it's migrating. I also learned the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit, which caused the problems. I won't know if I was successful for a few hours yet so wish me luck.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Capricorn wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:47 pm
I just upgraded to Catalina and then read the articles about how Finale 25.5 doesn't work with it,
"Doesn't work" is a bit strong. The list of known problems running 25.5 on Catalina are:
  • * Restarting the computer may be necessary for Finale to recognize the ARIA Player plug-in after installation.
    * After updating to macOS Catalina, some Engraver fonts will be shown as “missing” or displayed incorrectly in certain text font selection menus and dialog windows.
    * EPS images do not export properly and are not visible within a document. This also affects version 26.2 and is currently under review for further development.
    * When opening .mus documents (created in Finale 2012 or earlier), text created using MaestroTimes will not display correctly.
    * Coda and Dal Segno symbols are not visible in the Repeat Selection dialog window.
    * The Simple Entry Caret does not display modifiers correctly.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... 5-Catalina